Operation Smile South Africa: Programmes Assistant
Operation Smile South Africa
Operation Smile South Africa (OSSA) is a volunteer, nonprofit medical organisation that provides free surgeries to children and adults as well as educational and training opportunities that promote sustainability and self-sufficiency throughout the region.
OSSA is part of a global nonprofit medical services organisation that has, over the past 29 years, provided care to over 150 000 children and adults worldwide, and currently has a presence in over 60 countries.
OSSA seeks to appoint a Programmes Assistant, based in Cape Town, with international and domestic travel.
The Programme Assistant will work with the Programme Coordinator as well as Programmes Manager on the preparation, execution, and reporting of all surgical programmes in South Africa and neighbouring countries. The Programme Assistant is responsible for assisting the Programme Coordinator with all logistics pertaining to programmes of Operation Smile Southern and Central Africa including coordinating medical and non-medical volunteers, fact finds, working with in-country hosts, surgical missions, and reporting. Larger responsibilities in pre- and post-operative assessment trips throughout the OSSA countries. The Programmes Assistant is responsible for Student Programmes as well as Chapter (volunteer clubs).
General summary of duties
- Work with the Programme Coordinator as well as Programmes Manager on the preparation, execution, and reporting of all surgical programmes in South Africa and neighbouring countries. The Programme Assistant and Programme Coordinator are responsible for all the medical volunteers and non-medical volunteers joining on surgical programmes;
- Responsible for Student Programmes as well as Chapter (volunteer clubs) and will need to recruit more volunteers as well as starting up of clubs throughout South Africa. This will include support for Chapter and Student events as well as arranging training workshops for non-medical volunteers and student teams;
- Responsible for assisting the Programme Coordinator with all logistics pertaining to programmes of Operation Smile Southern and Central Africa including fact finds, working with in-country hosts, the mission, and reporting on it. They will work with the Media and Education Department to help to incorporate our sponsors in missions through employee volunteer programmes and press conferences to promote the relationships. This job will also involve assisting the Development Team in fundraising efforts from local companies when working in neighbouring countries as well as local media to create more brand awareness in the countries.
The Programme Assistant is responsible for activities pertaining to Operation Smile Southern and Central Africa surgical programmes including:
Medical mission, fact finds, strategic plan for programmes:
In South Africa
- Work with local Chapters to help create more awareness about Operation Smile and clefts as well as assisting with events and the starting up of new Chapters;
- Create more awareness with the youth and the starting of Student Clubs, as well as assisting with their mission preparation and fundraising events;
- Arrange non-medical volunteer training workshops;
- Communicate with our Warehouse Coordinator, Chapters and Student Programmes for any mission needs pertaining to smile kits, patient gowns ext;
- Work with the Programme Coordinator and Programmes Manager to facilitate recruitment of medical volunteers within South Africa;
- Help plan and execute missions within South Africa, making sure that relevant Chapters are involved and thanked for assistance;
- Manage and keep on file the participation of medical volunteers in missions outside Southern and Central Africa, assisting with logistics (flights/visas/paperwork) and keeping track of their goings and comings.
- Assist with logistics for fact finds and assessment trips;
- Assist Programme Coordinator with all administration pertaining to a medical mission;
- Work with the Programme Coordinator and Programmes Manager for volunteer management and to develop a rewarding system (volunteer retreat, volunteer of the quarter etc.);
- Assist in creating networks and support to ensure smoothly run, safe, and cost-effective medical missions with new and existing private and corporate partners;
- Provide accurate reports on programmes to help plan and develop future ones and to provide feedback to our sponsors and volunteers;
- Help link Student Clubs from other countries with OSI so that they can also become established and join in missions as well as host fundraising and awareness events.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to Sarah.Driver-Jowitt@operationsmile.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about Operation Smile South Africa, refer to www.operationsmile.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow and support the 2012 SANGONeT "No Pain No Gain" fundraising and awareness-raising campaign. Refer to www.ngopulse.org/npng for more information.