Operation Smile South Africa
Media and Marketing Coordinator
l. Job Summary
The Media and Marketing Coordinator, in conjunction with the Regional Director and Operation Smile Headquarters Marketing team, plans and directs all aspects of an organisation’s public relations policies, objectives and initiatives. The Media and Marketing Coordinator is also responsible for maintaining good will towards the organisation. These responsibilities are accomplished by constant monitoring of the organisation’s activities, and then by reviewing, packaging and distributing them to both internal and external constituents. The Media and Marketing Coordinator is responsible to develop, implement and direct an aggressive communications programme including national and international media relations, speaking opportunities and announcements.
II. Essential Functions
- Develop, implement and direct the organisation’s communications activities;
- Coordinate needs for the exchange of communications materials between domestic chapters, international foundations and headquarters;
- Provide oversight for an up-to-date and accurate set of materials about the organisation and its principals;
- Review and edit various letters, proposals and presentations drafted by fellow staff members;
- Direct an annual communications guide providing policies and procedures for domestic chapter communication initiatives;
- Review and edit monthly e-info for accuracy and tone;
- Provide support to development department to assist fund raising efforts.
Publicity/Media Relations: (25%)
- Utilise the organisation’s missions and events to attract positive media attention;
- Increase the quantity and quality of national and international media coverage;
- Develop and control the message contained in print or broadcast features;
- Strive for consistency of facts in material prepared about the organisation;
- Serve as media spokesperson for the organisation;
- Match the appropriate interviewee to the story and type of media involved.
Company Image/Materials: (25%)
- Oversee development of key materials for the organisation to include annual reports;
- Quarterly newsletters, information brochures, press releases and fact sheets;
- Review all published materials for appropriate image and tone;
- Review materials prepared by other departments for accuracy and image;
- Evaluate all public relations opportunities for appropriateness;
- Direct responses designed to differentiate our organisation from other health charities.
Department Management and Strategic Planning: (10%)
- Develop and implement an annual communications plan;
- Assess when projects need involvement of other departments;
- Establish areas of responsibility for members of the department;
- Provide timely reports to the Board in the event of public relations successes or crises;
- Submit quarterly highlight reports to management for review by the Board.
Fiscal Responsibility: (5%)
- Prepare annual department budget including monthly cash flow projections;
- Monitor and review monthly expenses for accuracy;
- Complete required paperwork for processing of invoices.
Staff Training and Development: (5%)
- Encourage independence and resourcefulness in problem solving;
- Strive to serve as a mentor for staff or to suggest appropriate mentors;
- Budgets for seminars and conferences to enhance job performance and productivity.
lll. Additional Responsibilities
- Serve as department representative for special projects or task forces;
- Serve as department representative for crisis situations.
Requires college degree with major in journalism, communications or mass media. Graduate level degree a plus. Minimum of 2 years management experience as well as demonstrated leadership abilities. Requires superior communications skills, knowledge of public and media relations and the ability to build trust and a good rapport with varying types of people all over the world. To excel in this position, the Media and Marketing Coordinator should have excellent command of the Microsoft suite of programmes, be able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and possess expertise in production of print and electronic media communications.
The Media and Marketing Coordinator will at all times, act with professionalism in all activities and will maintain the confidentiality of the privileged management and donor information. The person will readily accept new assignments consistent with the mission of Operation Smile.
Click here to apply: www.operationsmile.org/get_involved/careers