Operation Smile South Africa: Education Coordinator Africa
Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 09:37
Operation Smile South Africa
Please note: this opportunity closing date has passed and may not be available any more.
Opportunity closing date:Sunday, June 10, 2012
OSSA is part of a global nonprofit medical services organisation that has, over the past 29 years, provided care to over 150 000 children and adults worldwide, and currently has a presence in over 60 countries.
OSSA seeks to appoint an Education Coordinator for Africa, based in Cape Town.
Do you love Africa? Are you passionate about travel? Do you want to make a sustainable and real difference to the lives of people around the continent? This might be what you have been waiting for - the chance to work within a global organisation with likeminded people dedicated to improving rural healthcare and changing the lives of many. It's a tough job - the hours are long and unpredictable, and the work load demanding - but it's also wonderfully rewarding and an incredible opportunity for the right person.
S/he will work with the Africa Education Manager to determine the strategic direction of education programmes across Africa and will organise and execute all relevant education programmes including but not limited to American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) training as well as trauma education programmes.
S/he will work with the Africa Education Manager to assist in any necessary logistics or coordination of programmes.
- Further develop and coordinate the existing Basic Life Support (BLS), Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) and other American Heart Association (AHA) programmes and the training up of trainers;
- Work with the Africa Programme Manager to expand educational initiatives and incorporate other educational programmes through assessing the needs and desires of medical professionals in partner countries;
- Host educational conferences or symposiums depending on interest and need;
- Organise the education days or evenings with volunteers for surgical missions;
- Assist in the logistics of the craniofacial World Care Programme, finding South African patients, assisting with overseas patients and helping to organise the educational component of the programmes;
- Facilitate the participation of local volunteers across Africa in annual conferences or workshops put on by the organisation and the promotion of Operation Smile and executing recruitment of volunteers at International Medical Conferences (Plastic Surgery Society Conferences).
- Minimum of three years experience with an international agency or corporation;
- Willingness to work on public holidays, weekends or evenings when a programme necessitates;
- Experience and success in programme coordination and volunteer management;
- Highly organised and self-motivated;
- Ability to work in a global team-based environment that includes board members, medical professionals and volunteers;
- Ability to accept newly-assigned projects or duties as they become necessitated;
- Oral, written and presentation skills;
- Availability to 50% domestic or international travels;
- Ability to work in a multinational team.
Salary: R12 000 per month, inclusive of health insurance R500, mobile phone R500, and R500 for parking. All of which, s/he will organise her/himself.
To apply, submit a CV (maximum three pages) and motivation letter to the Education Manager for Africa, Scarlett Steer at email@example.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about Operation Smile South Africa, refer to www.operationsmile.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow and support the 2012 SANGONeT "No Pain No Gain" fundraising and awareness-raising campaign. Refer to www.ngopulse.org/npng for more information.