ONE is a campaign and advocacy organisation backed by over two and a half million people from around the world and every walk of life who are committed to the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. ONE holds world leaders to account for promises made, and we press them to support policies in development policy and finance, transparency and governance. The orgnaisation also work with leaders in Africa to support greater democracy, accountability and transparency.
ONE operates from Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Johannesburg, London, Paris and Washington DC.
ONE seeks to appoint a Policy Manager, Transparency & Accountability, based in Johannesburg, with occasional international travel.
ONE’s agenda on transparency and accountability covers budget transparency, natural resource revenue transparency and aid transparency. ONE also works to promote the role of civil society and oversight institutions and engage in international processes such as the G8, G20 and the Open Government Partnership to achieve our goals.
The Policy Manager will lead on ONE’s transparency and accountability agenda in Africa. S/he will work with colleagues across the organisation on the core areas of transparency and accountability, and will also support the organisation in the process of incorporating a transparency and accountability perspective into our work on health and agriculture.
The ideal candidate is expected to be a great team player, able to handle a variety of tasks and with a first-rate understanding of global development issues and how they play out in African contexts. Most importantly, s/he will have huge drive and determination to help ONE to play its part in opening governance in Africa, and on a global scale, to accelerate progress on poverty reduction.
S/he will report to the Director, Transparency and Accountability. This role will also have a dotted line report to the Africa Director
- Lead ONE’s work on transparency and accountability in Africa, ensuring that ONE’s work in this area is informed by African viewpoints and realities and that ONE’s work in Africa has a strong transparency and accountability perspective;
- Represent ONE in external meetings with a transparency and accountability focus, including high-level meetings as appropriate;
- Working with relevant members of the Africa team, build and maintain relationships with key African stakeholders working on transparency and accountability;
- Undertake research and policy analysis relating to ONE’s transparency and accountability agenda in relation to policy processes in Africa and African countries’ roles in international policy processes;
- Prepare documents on key transparency and accountability issues - for ONE’s website, for blog posts, for talking points, and for briefing for senior policymakers;
- Take the lead on mainstreaming a transparency and accountability perspective into ONE’s Africa-focused work on health and agriculture, working closely with colleagues in the Global Policy Team;
- Work with advocacy, media and campaigns colleagues in Africa, Europe and the US to take advantage of opportunities for promoting policy change;
- Any other duties as appropriate to the role.
- Master’s degree preferably in a development-related field will be preferred;
- Experience of working in a policy development role, within the international development sector, preferably in a sub-Saharan African country;
- Understanding of the links between advocacy, policy-making, legislation, and implementation of programmes;
- Outstanding research and analytical skills, including the ability to synthesise complex policy issues into digestible briefings and communicate to non-specialist audiences;
- Excellent communications skills, with experience of influencing stakeholders and establishing and maintaining strong partnerships;
- Global outlook with the ability to work within a global team;
- Ability to respond flexibly to opportunities and requests, at times with little notice;
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and strong interpersonal skills;
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail;
- Flexible, resourceful and innovative with the ability to manage competing priorities in a rapidly changing environment;
- Commitment to ONE’s aims;
- Fluency in English is essential and working knowledge in French, Portuguese, Kiswahili is desirable.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter with ‘Policy Manager’ in the subject line, outlining how you meet the skills and competencies outlined in the job description to email@example.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Applicants must indicate within their application whether they currently hold the right to work in the Republic of South Africa.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be held late in May 2012.
Should you not hear from ONE within two weeks of the closing date, consider your application unsuccessful.
For more about ONE, refer to www.one.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow and support the 2012 SANGONeT "No Pain No Gain" fundraising and awareness-raising campaign. Refer to www.ngopulse.org/npng for more information.