ONE is a global campaign and advocacy organisation backed by over six million people from around the world and every walk of life that are committed to the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. We hold world leaders to account for the promises made to the poorest, and we press them to support better policies and more effective aid and trade reform. We also work with leaders in Africa to support greater democracy, accountability and transparency so these resources can be effectively deployed. ONE has offices in Berlin, Brussels, Johannesburg, London, New York City, Paris and Washington DC.
The Campaigns Officer will lead on membership engagement in Africa, working with members of the team to develop strategies to attract, recruit and develop ONE’s membership/supporter base in this market. This role will also work closely with staff across the organisation to develop targeted online and off-line campaigns in Africa and to develop and maintain influential supporter relationships. The Campaigns Officer reports to the Executive Director and is based in Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Communications, Marketing, International Relations or related field;
- Four years of campaigning and public mobilisation experience with a strong track record delivering successful national and Pan African campaigns within a campaigns, advocacy or communications environment;
- Excellent written and verbal English communications skills with the ability to write persuasive material, especially for the web. Familiarity with other languages of the AU desirable;
- Strong experience managing social media channels (principally Facebook and Twitter) for an African audience;
- Successful experience developing and managing digital campaign content and linking digital and traditional media strategies;
- Experience using Content Management Systems (especially Word press) to manage digital content;
- Proven ability to work effectively and sensitively to develop professional relationships with a wide range of NGOs, volunteers, specialists and other partners;
- Strong project management and event organising skills, with the ability to manage budgets and contractors;
- Familiarity with African policy making processes and politics, and an understanding of development issues affecting Africa is desirable;
- Commitment to ONE’s aims and a clear understanding of the links between policy, lobbying, campaigning and media work and of how policy change can be achieved through effective advocacy;
- Ability to respond flexibly to opportunities and requests, sometimes with little notice;
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse team environment across various times zones;
- Ability to consistently apply good judgment and make good and responsible decisions;
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times.
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the design and execution of innovative campaign strategies in line with strategic campaigning opportunities and ONE’s priorities in Africa;
- Lead on the planning and implementation of Pan African and national campaigns including securing a portfolio of innovative digital campaigning channels, partners and opportunities in Africa;
- Manage the development of creative and high impact campaigns that build public support for ONE’s policy change objectives, and demonstrate this support to key African policymakers and media across Africa;
- Lead on creating innovative digital campaign content and digital promotion strategies working in consultation and collaboration with team Africa, campaigns and digital colleagues based in other locations (particularly online) which encourage people to get involved and take action;
- Lead on overall volunteer/activist relationship management in Africa, engaging with ONE members and volunteers online and in person;
- Build strong activist groups at country and Pan African levels, and ensure mutually satisfactory engagement with members including responding to request for support to implement local partner and member actions, media stunts and events;
- Participate in global digital and communications campaign planning, strategy, execution and reporting processes, effectively linking the Africa program with the rest of the organisation;
- Write emails, blog posts, and other digital content encouraging ONE members to take action;
- Manage ONE Africa social media channels to engage ONE members and the wider public;
- Write project plans and reports;
- Some domestic and international travel may be required;
- Any other duties as required.
We offer great benefits including:
- Health Insurance;
- Vacation leave, sick leave, and mandatory holidays.
Qualified and Interested Applicants
We invite qualified candidates to submit an application and a cover letter with salary history and desired salary the jobs page of our website. (Only candidates who send salary requirements will be considered for the position.) This is a rolling recruitment. We will conclude the process when the job has been filled. We thank all candidates for their interest. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in South Africa without any restrictions need apply.