OLICO Youth is looking for a vibrant, dynamic, socially-conscious individual who is passionate about improving educational outcomes of township-school youth. The position involves coordinating the Diepsloot branch of OLICO Youth which seeks to improve academic performance through readily available computer-based technologies (with an emphasis on senior phase mathematics).
This position involves working closely with the OLICO team and a group of Grade 7, 9 and 10 learners from Diepsloot. OLICO seeks to develop an effective, sustainable and replicable solution to the academic challenges facing many of South Africa’s school-going youth. The successful candidate will help bridge gaps in numeracy and literacy skills by coordinating the daily after-school activities and Saturday morning sessions. In addition, the successful candidate will be responsible for on-going monitoring and evaluating of the progress of individual learners, as well as managing learner retention and building relationships with families and the surrounding community. OLICO is committed to helping build a strong, inclusive, democratic and collaborative educational platform and environment. The project is located at an established centre in Diepsloot (north of Johannesburg) and the position is full-time. Candidates with teaching / community / volunteering experience have an advantage.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Jointly coordinate the OLICO Youth Diepsloot branch with the OLICO team;
- Oversee the daily after-school sessions as per the OLICO process;
- Monitor and evaluate individual learner progress;
- Offer tutoring assistance to learners who get stuck at various points in the curriculum;
- Identify weak points in the OLICO process for improvement;
- Plan and implement the OLICO Saturday morning sessions;
- Establish the OLICO Diepsloot branch committee;
- Participate in OLICO structures on project development;
- Manage key strategic partnerships with schools and families;
- Pursue collaborative opportunities in the development of an Open-Source Learning Environment.
- Relevant three-year degree or better (ideally a postgraduate qualification);
- Relevant experience in either mathematics education or community-based projects;
- Familiarity with technology and is adept at using computers;
- Solution focused and willing to work in a structured manner to find context-specific solutions;
- Warm personality and is able to interact well with young people, but is also able to provide a professional face to corporate sponsors when required;
- Creative, yet organised, pragmatic and efficient;
- Passionate about the potential for education to alleviate poverty;
- Strong proponent of collaboration and a strong team player;
- Johannesburg-based and has their own transport;
- Compassionate and enjoys working with and developing young people.
Initially a one-year contract. Salary range: R10 000 - R 15 000 per month, depending on experience and qualifications. Based at our Diepsloot centre.
For more about OLICO Youth, refer to www.olico.org.
To apply, please submit your CV plus a detailed motivation of your interest in the position and we you believe you are most suitable (1-2 pages max) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10 December 2013.