NEPAD Business Foundation
The NEPAD Business Foundation(NBF) is a non-profit company promoting sustainable economic development in Africa through the private sector. The NBF is a “Chamber of Business for Development”, connecting the public and private sectors, development agencies and civil society in implementing innovative and sustainable projects in partnership with each other. In supporting African economic development and growth, NBF’s key focus areas mirror the NEPAD Planning and Coordination Agency’s (NEPAD Agency) development themes of agriculture and food security; climate change and natural resources management; economic and corporate governance; human development and capacity building; and regional integration and infrastructure.
Job Title: Water Project Manager
Reports to: Manager, Project Management Unit
Deadline: May 31, 2012
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa (only those with South African work permits need apply)
Function and Purpose
Under the leadership of the DWA and by engaging industry partners and experts in the water sector the SWPN is collaborating on an on-going basis to seek innovative joint solutions that support the implementation of Government water strategies and overall water security for South Africa. By promoting the efforts and activities of this partnership, Government can build an even wider public – private expert movement for action.
Principal Duties and Responsibilies
This role will specifically require the incumbent to coordinate the project management of the SWPN-SA including the following:
- provide secretariat services to the work groups
- facilitate implementation of SWPN work plan
- increased stakeholder involvement in water sector issues affecting SA
- management of work plan specific to each key focus area
Scope of Work:
1. Lead management of SWPN-SA co-ordination:
- Develop and implement a membership database which will provide the anchor for members details and minutes of previous discussions into a central location.
- Maintain the operation of SWPN-SA website to consolidate background information, progress updates and membership dialogue and be a window for the public, as well as a platform for members.
- Assist the PMU in development of growth strategies and workplan for SWPN Secretariat
2. Coordination of SWPN members in South Africa
- Review and update, together with the PMU, existing work plans for the SWPN steering committee
- Manage and plan administrative and secretariat functions for the SWPN stakeholder group, including coordination with the Department of Water Affairs and other key private sector companies.
- Lead the planning and coordination of steering committee meetings and conferences
3. Management and coordination of working groups
- Maintain and update database of working group members, creating principal information bank of projects and progresses
- Liaise with the workgroups, maintaining proper functioning, including minutes from workgroup meetings, and fulfilment of chairperson duties and progression of workgroup projects
- Assist in the finalisation thematic group workshops
Essential Skills and Capabilities:
- 5+ years’ experience in project management
- Tertiary qualification preferred
- Experience in stakeholder engagement, managing workshops and stakeholder meetings
- Proven ability to develop, document, maintain and write reports on project activities and management of project timeframes/budgets
- Experience in the water sector
- Ability to self-manage and meet deadlines
- Excellent co-ordination skills across different levels of stakeholders
- Ability to work within a Team context
- Some competence in the use of project management methodologies or technologies (e.g. MS Project) would be useful
- Experience in working in Africa and dealing with governments, private sector, civil society and development agencies.
- Some understanding of NEPAD, the AU and WEF would also be useful.
- Excellent programme and project management capabilities, including ability to plan, prioritize, resource allocate and deliver on time;
- Professional excellence
- Relationship building and management skills
- Analytical skills
- Computer literacy
- Communication skills;
- Negotiating skills.
- Time management skills (specifically the ability to prioritize) and general ability to meet deadlines;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships and build networks.
- Versatility – ability to work across the board, changing functions as necessary
- Team orientation – working in an integrated team environment;
- Consultative capabilities and able to work with all levels of people.
- Resilience – maintaining composure and dealing effectively with stress;
- Flexible and adaptable – changing opinions / behaviour in the light of changing situations;
- Methodical and systematic, with a strong attention to detail and accuracy;
- Action-oriented and confident;
- Operate with integrity (high ethics)
How to Apply:
Please send a one-page cover letter and your CV to email@example.com by 31st May 2012. Thank you for your application. Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.