Ndifuna Ukwazi (NU) is a Cape Town-based NGO that promotes understanding, engagement and collaboration on social justice issues in order to foster active citizenship and leadership in South Africa. A central activity of NU is providing legal and research support to partner social justice organisations. This is done with the goal of improving the living conditions of poor, working class and vulnerable people, as well as to achieve social justice and the safeguarding of human rights in South Africa and elsewhere.
NU works to transform local government to be more open, transparent and participatory in order fulfil the constitutional rights of people living in informal settlements. The organisation currently focuses on its campaigns, research and advocacy on sanitation in Khayelitsha, Cape Town with a focus on the budget as well as citizen based mechanisms to monitor and improve service delivery, including social audits.
NU seeks to appoint a Programme Coordinator, based in Cape Town.
The Coordinator will lead a team of three in this area.
- Coordinate a social audit learning network together with partners across South Africa to build the movement;
- Coordinate budget research and advocacy on a progress and participatory budget in the City of Cape Town;
- Build relationship with and help to support NU's key partners;
- Manage operations and logistics;
- Develop and implement strategies that lead to concrete outcomes;
- Manage a programmatic budget and write reports;
- Manage, direct and motivate a small team.
- Local government and/or budget research/advocacy experience;
- Management, operations or co-ordination experience;
- Experience working with or in community based organisations;
- English speaking and writing (required);
- isiXhosa speaking (preferred);
- Bachelor's or Law degree or equivalent;
- Commitment to social justice;
- Proven ability to work independently;
- Innovative and flexible;
- Ability to work to deadlines.
To apply, submit a CV and examples of/or links to research or campaign work that you have personally been responsible for to: firstname.lastname@example.org, Please use the job title as the subject 'Coordinator: Open and Participatory Local Gov & Budgets'
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Suitable candidates will be invited to interview in Mid January with the sucessful candidate appointed for February or March depending on availability.
For more about Ndifuna Ukwazi, refer to http://nu.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Twitter at http://twitter.com/SANGONeT.