Ndifuna Ukwazi (NU)
Ndifuna Ukwazi (NU) is a Cape Town-based NGO that promotes understanding, engagement and collaboration on social justice issues in order to foster active citizenship and leadership in South Africa. A central activity of NU is providing legal and research support to partner social justice organisations. This is done with the goal of improving the living conditions of poor and vulnerable people, as well as to achieve social justice and the safeguarding of human rights in South Africa and elsewhere.
NU seeks to appoint an Office Administrator, based in Cape Town.
The Office Administrator is responsible for effective administrative and financial systems.
The person will report to the Deputy Director.
- Coordinating all administrative support services, such as being responsible for answering telephone calls on the main switchboard and taking messages for staff when staff is away. Keeping system and controls that provide reasonable assurance that administrative operations are effective and efficient, assets are safeguarded and procedure of funders are followed;
- Maintaining files in order to keep accurate records related to correspondence, bookkeeping and human resources and maintaining a confidential staff HR file for tracking leave and other purposes;
- Being responsible for monitoring and responding to the general e-mail address as well as any ad hoc correspondence needed by the directors;
- Monitoring and maintaining events in the organisation’s calendar as well as that of the director and deputy director;
- Doing administrative duties on request for the Director and Deputy Director
- Performing daily banking duties such as making payments, drawing petty cash;
- Monitoring the petty cash and keeping accurate petty cash register;
- Greeting visitors and performing reception duties;
- Taking and distributing minutes for all staff meetings;
- Ensure the timely and proper payment of all accounts related to NU’s operations, the building and associated assets and services;
- Ensuring that staff are able to print, email, fax and scan when required – by ensuring that all services are in order, maintained and fully paid up. Appoint and liaise with service providers and suppliers for the routine maintenance of the office, including IT;
- Capturing all expenses and payments in our book keeping software
- Producing basic financial reports on cash flow;
- Maintaining best practice financial controls in an accountable and transparent manner
- Ordering stock and stationery;
- Booking flights and assisting with logistic support for NU seminars, conferences and panel discussions at NU offices or elsewhere;
- Ensuring that the office and its assets are maintained in good order. Maintaining an NU asset register and any other register that funders may require in the format that they require;
- Developing and maintaining a relationship with the payroll administrator, for the purpose of proper record-keeping and capturing of financial transactions.
- Matric certificate as well as competency in English speaking, reading and writing;
- Experience in administration as well as bookkeeping or accounting experience is essential;
- S/he must be committed to working in an environment advancing social justice in South Africa.
Salary: R8 000 - R10 000 per month.
This is a one year contract, renewable for an additional year subject to availability of funds and performance.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to Jared@nu.org.za.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Enquiries: 021 423 3089.
For more about Ndifuna Ukwazi, refer to http://nu.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.