United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) delivers a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled.
UNFPA seeks to appoint a National Programme Officer: Sexual and Reproductive Health, based in Pretoria.
ICS Level: 10
Reference number: 21411
The National Programme Officer: Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) provides high-level technical support for country programming on SRH. S/he will dedicate majority of his/her time to technical assistance and capacity building of national counterparts to ensure the technical quality of SRH programmes in line with Government priorities and UNFPA programme policies and procedures. By promoting the highest international quality and standards, s/he will support the Government achieve universal access to RH and the reduction of maternal mortality in the country.
MAJOR ACTIVITIES / EXPECTED RESULTS:
- In collaboration with Government counterparts, NGOs and other partners, provide substantive leadership and inputs into the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) programme to improve maternal health, and repositioning family planning agenda taking into account socio-cultural factors;
- Oversee achievement of programme results by ensuring appropriate policies and procedures are applied, and appropriate monitoring and oversight mechanisms and systems are established and implemented;
- Review the political, social and economic environment relevant to SRHR and pursues opportunities for UNFPA assistance and intervention;
- Assess implications of new policy developments and strategies on programme execution, and ensures appropriate implementation;
- Oversee programme implementation, establishing collaborative partnerships with executing agencies, government counterparts and other UN agencies to facilitate timely and efficient delivery of the programme for results;
- Ensure the creation and documentation of knowledge about current and emerging SRHR issues through the analysis of programme, strategies, approaches and ongoing experience for lessons learned best practices and uses this knowledge for information sharing and planning future strategies;
- In the context of ICPD beyond 2014, initiative advocacy and resource mobilisation efforts of the Country Office by ensuring preparation of relevant documentation, project summaries, conference papers, speeches and participating in development partners meetings and public information events.
- Masters’ degree or equivalent in Medicine, Public Health or Social Sciences;
- At least 6 - 8 years professional experience in programme management in the public, NGO or private sector in public health, good technical drafting and report / proposal writing skills and presentation and interpersonal communication skills;
- Fluency in English, Computer skills: Proficiency in current office software applications.
Annual Salary Package: R 712 739 - R 814 970
Applications must enclose a motivation letter, CV and certified copies of qualifications and should be sent to: MARAISBUTTON AND ASSOCIATES, E-mail: email@example.com
Closing Date: 20 September 2013
This position is open to South African Nationals only.
UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, respect for diversity, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply.
For more about the United Nations Population Fund, refer to southafrica.unfpa.org