The Networking HIV/AIDS Community of South Africa (NACOSA) is a nonprofit organisation that seeks to reduce the impact of HIV, AIDS and TB through building capacity, networking and strengthening the multi-sectorial response to HIV, AIDS and TB in Southern Africa.
NACOSA’s Training Programme is one of the core components in the organisation’s community system strengthening approach and also supports its broader Capacity Building strategic objective to: “Provide organisational capacity and technical support to HIV, TB and related health and developmental civil society and other role players through direct mentoring, coaching, training and support services”.
NACOSA seeks to appoint a consultant as Materials Developer - Child and Youth Care Skills Programme.
The overall training goal is therefore to provide quality training to Civil Society, Health and other role players in order to empower them with technical and organisational capacities to run programmes impacting positively on the reduction of the spread of HIV and TB. In the process of capacitating the organisation/institution NACOSA also strives to capacitate the individual with new skills to promote personal growth as well as employability.
NACOSA’s training programmes are categorised as follows:
- General organisational Governance and Leadership Skills (Role of Board Members; General Management Function; Code of Good Governance)
- More specific training in terms of governance (Leadership; Successful Planning for NGOs; Tax issues for NPOs; Fundamentals of Human Resource Management in a NGO and Managing People; Managing diversity in the workplace; Basic Financial Management)
- Operational skills to run efficient programmes (Proposal Writing and Fundraising; Report Writing; Planning and Conducting an AGM; Advocacy and Lobbying; Networking; How to compile a Community Profile; Project Management; Monitoring and Evaluation and Facilitation Skills for beginner facilitators)
- Programme specific, technical information and skills (Understanding the basics of HIV and AIDS; HIV and AIDS Treatment Options; HIV and AIDS Support Group Facilitator Training; Strengthening Support for OVC; Sensitisation of health workers who deal with Men who have sex with Men (MSM)
- NACOSA also customises learning programmes based on specific needs and skills gaps
Purpose of this project
In an attempt to respond to the training needs of its constituency and human resource demands in providing sufficient primary health care, NACOSA is expanding its existing curriculum by developing additional SETA registered skills programmes. The skills programme related to this ‘terms of reference’ is aimed at providing community workers with fundamental knowledge and skills to work with orphans and vulnerable children. This skills programme could also equip workers from CBOs running youth programmes.
Content of HIV counselling skills programme
The skills programme should be aligned to the ETDP’s Community Development NQF 3 Qualification (66749) with the following Youth elective unit standards:
|US Description||US ID||Level||Credits||Start Date||End date||Last date of enrolment|
|Demonstrate an understanding of the fundamentals of child and youth care work||25418||3||
|Promote and uphold the rights of children and youth||
|Observe, record and report in a child and youth care work context||
|Demonstrate basic caring skills for children and youth at risk||254178||3||6||
Total credits: 24
Training days: 9 days (over two months)
One day PoE session
Material development requirements:
a) The consultant has to develop the following materials for submission to the HWSeta:
- A learner guide/manual according to outcomes based principles;
- A facilitator’s guide to guide the facilitation of the intended learning outcomes, inclusive of a suggested training programme;
- Baseline assessment instrument;
- Assessment Guide;
- Moderation Guide;
- Evaluation and Moderation Reports with model answers;
- Logbook for learners;
- PoE or learners workbook;
- Assessment Matrix;
- ETDP SETA Skills Bundle LPE form completed.
b) The material should be developed in modules enabling the training provider to present and assess it in different phases over a period of time. In other words the learner guide and assessments should not be integrated but done per unit standard.
c) The learner guide and assessment activities should be reader friendly and visually attractive (appropriate pictures, diagrammes, icons)
d) General requirements are as follows:
- Font: Arial, Font Size 12 for learner guide, font size 11, not smaller than 10 for matrixes and other related guides
- Headings: Font size 12 and/or 14;
- Logo’s: NACOSA Logo will be provided;
- Standard cover and back pages for all the different manuals;
- Format: Final electronic copies on a CD Rom;
- Language: Basic English to make it accessible to a wide group of people.
The target market is future or currently employed community health workers or lay counsellors. The entry requirement is a Grade 10 (old Standard 8) certificate.
• Knowledge and experience on how to develop learning programmes for approval by the HWSETA and ETDP SETA.
• Excellent writing skills in English
The first draft should be submitted by 23 July 2012.
NACOSA will feedback by 3 August 2012.
Final product by 16 August 2012.
Assistance to the Consultant by NACOSA
NACOSA will make available the following information and facilities to the consultant:
- Standard cover and back pages for all the different manuals
- NACOSA logo
- NACOSA templates and standard forms with regards to accredited training
- Regular feedback
- NACOSA Assessment Guide Template
- NACOSA Moderation Guide Template
- NACOSA Training, Assessment, Moderation Policies & Procedures
Terms of Reference and Payment inquiries should be addressed to Hannerie White, Capacity Building Manager, Tel: 021 552 0804 or 082 829 1135, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Please submit a detailed costing to indicate your unit price per credit.
Attach your CV to the quote. An advantage would be to include sample pages of previous material developed by you.
- Closing Date : 15 June 2012
- Closing Time : 12:00
- Telephone : 021 552 0804
- E-mail and enquiries: email@example.com
NACOSA will pay a 50% deposit on signing of a contract and the balance on delivery of the final product.
For more about the Networking HIV/AIDS Community of South Africa, refer to www.nacosa.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Twitter at http://twitter.com/SANGONeT.