Job Title: Facilitator/Coach (Technology in Education)
Employer: Implementing partner of MRP Foundation NPC
Where: Offices based in Durban, project site/daily work is at schools in the Ilembe District in the greater area of KwaDukuza/Balito
Start Date: Feb/March 2014
Contract Type: 10 months, with potential for renewal. Successful candidates will be contracted to the implementing partner of MRP Foundation.
Application deadline: 20th January 2014
MRP Foundation - making a difference in the lives of young South Africans.
THE MRP FOUNDATION is a Non-Profit and Public Benefit Organisation that was established in 2006. We strive to make a positive and lasting difference in the lives of young South Africans. Our main focus is on empowerment, especially of those less privileged, through education.
More information can be found at www.mrpfoundation.org
In 2014, we launched a Technology in Education Project, in partnership with Numeric (who use the backbone of the Khan Academy, www.numeric.org) and the Global Literacy Project which uses a child-driven literacy learning platform on tablets (MIT and TUFTS University, www.globallit.org). More information can be found in the news section of the MRP Foundation website.
In 2015 we will also be partnering with the Breteau Foundation (http://www.breteaufoundation.org), in addition to our existing partners. The project is an expanded pilot with the intention of exploring the potential of using technology in education in a rural/peri-urban environment in South Africa. The project site will be within an existing MRP Foundation programme, namely the RedCap Schools.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Facilitating the deployment of the Breteau Foundation and Numeric approach at the project site/s;
- Fulfilling the role of the Numeric “coach” for the Khan Academy sessions at the deployment site;
- Maintaining relationships with partner school/s (principals, H.O.Ds, educators);
- Handling logistics involved with the project site (transport, connectivity);
- Training additional coaches and educators on the use of the Tablets and the Numeric approach to Khan Academy;
- Contributing to the development of the deployment (curriculum, games, activities);
- Arranging parents evenings/meetings to encourage parent buy-in and commitment, including managing and executing the consent process for participation in the study and for media release;
- Liaising with the IT team on keeping the hardware operational;
- Additional administrative tasks to assist the development of the Technology in Education portfolio of the RedCap Foundation;
- Reporting to the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) processes/team, and conducting field work for research as directed by the research team.
- Passionate about children and youth, and education;
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of stakeholders;
- Energetic, self-motivated and able to motivate others;
- Happy working in a team;
- Committed to life-long learning.
While the position is a limited duration contract, successful implementation may lead to further opportunity and Project Management responsibility, hence a candidate who has the potential to grow into a further role will be looked at favourably.
Competencies, Technical Skills and other Requirements of the Position:
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent;
- Higher grade maths through to matric, comfortable with numbers and quantitative topics;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, in English (Zulu a major advantage);
- Strong presentation skills;
- Coaching, teaching or tutoring experience preferable;
- Interest in and ability to handle new and changing technologies;
- Driver’s licence and own vehicle/transport;
- Willingness to travel.
Interested applicants should submit a CV (maximum 2 pages) and 1-2 page letter of motivation, together with copy of matric certificate and other relevant qualifications.
MRP Foundation reserves the right to not appoint for this position.
For more about the MRP Foundation, refer to www.mrpfoundation.org