mothers2mothers (m2m) is an international NGO headquartered in Cape Town, South Africa, dedicated to preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV and providing education and support to pregnant women and mothers living with HIV. Our organisation empowers HIV-positive pregnant women, enabling them to fight stigma in their communities and to live positive and productive lives. mothers2mothers currently operates in nine African countries.
m2m seeks to appoint a Senior Technical Advisor - Early Childhood Development (ECD).
To further its goal of maximising maternal and infant health outcomes, m2m is broadening the scope of its peer-based RMNCH / PMTCT education and psychosocial support model to integrate early childhood development (ECD) interventions for the 0-2 age group.
Purpose: The Senior Technical Advisor will provide strategic and management support to the Country Directors and ECD Programme Managers and serve as m2m’s lead on a new USAID-funded ECD / PMTCT implementation research project in Swaziland and Lesotho. Working collaboratively with m2m Head Office and country-based staff, the Senior Technical Advisor will be responsible for technical oversight of the implementation of the new ECD programme and will ensure its continued roll-out and refinement, initially in Swaziland and Lesotho and then across other programme countries. S/he will work with colleagues to contribute to quality assurance and programme development, facilitate learning and internal capacity building across programme staff, and expand the implementation of m2m’s ECD interventions in line with m2m’s overall programme strategy.
The Senior Technical Advisor ECD reports to the Director of Programmes and Technical Support and will split his / her time between m2m Head Office in Cape Town, South Africa (60%), Mbabane, Swaziland (20%) and Maseru, Lesotho (20%).
Key Performance Areas:
- Serve as m2m Project Lead on integration of ECD and PMTCT implementation research project in Swaziland and Lesotho, to include:
- Technical leadership for programme start-up and implementation, as well as continuous refinement based on QA/QI;
- Key project stakeholder relationship liaison and management;
- Lead roll-out and integration of ECD interventions in other programme countries;
- Provide technical assistance and leadership on ECD to m2m Head Office and country office staff, including facilitating learning and internal capacity building;
- Provide technical support to ECD proposal development at both Head Office and country level;
- Represent m2m in ECD inter-agency and technical fora, and foster new external relations for m2m around ECD programming.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in early childhood development, education, social sciences or related field;
- 5-7 years relevant experience in programme development and management; including ECD programme design / implementation and international field experience;
- Good working knowledge and understanding of HIV/AIDS and PMTCT and opportunities for integration of ECD interventions;
- Demonstrated experience in proposal development, including design and writing of technical strategies;
- Experience working with USG funded projects;
- Experience in coordinating and leading public health project design processes in resource limited settings;
- Experience in designing / coordinating materials development to support ECD programmes;
- Experience in managing / coordinating complex stakeholder processes at multiple levels and ability to provide clear communication around those processes;
- Experience in designing, conducting and managing research in ECD advantageous.
- Strong design and conceptualisation skills - able to think creatively and systematically at all project levels (goal, objectives, activities, inputs);
- Proven ability to provide high quality technical assistance and guidance to field staff;
- Ability to work well under pressure, manage multiple tasks and meet tight deadlines;
- Self-starter, team player and results-orientated;
- Excellent communication and writing skills;
- Cultural sensitivity and ability to effectively engage participants of different cultures and backgrounds;
- Willingness to travel 50-60% of the time.
Competitive salary packages will be negotiable in accordance with m2m’s remuneration policies.
mothers2mothers is an equal opportunity employer. We particularly encourage applications from people living with HIV and AIDS (PLWHA), people with disabilities, women and previously disadvantaged people.
mothers2mothers follows a careful review process for all applications. We are unable to respond personally to each application. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Should you not receive a response to your application by 11 July 2014, please consider your application unsuccessful.
For more about mothers2mothers, refer to www.m2m.org.