mothers2mothers (m2m) is a rapidly growing and innovative organisation dedicated to providing education and support to pregnant women and mothers living with HIV, reducing and preventing mother-to-child transmission as well as keeping mothers with HIV healthy and alive to care for their families. The organisation is supported by a large and diverse donor base, the largest of which is the United States government funding through the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
mothers2mothers seeks to appoint a Senior Policy Advisor and Capacity Building Specialist, based in Cape Town.
The successful candidate will work in close collaboration with the Department of Health at District, Provincial and National levels, to develop a national PMTCT peer-education and psychosocial framework to scale-up the Mentor Mother Program (MMP) model in South Africa.
Strategic planning and programme design
- Provide technical assistance to the Department of Health and develop a joint strategic plan for scale-up of the MMP from district level.
- Support the relevant Department of Health at District, Provincial and National levels
- to facilitate the MM scale-up and integration into the eMTCT Framework;
- Provide technical assistance to the Department at various levels to develop established standards of service quality for programme implementation;
- Develop and guide the activities of the relevant working groups by drawing on internal resources, organizational expertise, and the active engagement of local experts.
Policy development and advocacy
- Facilitate the generation of District, Provincial and National standards and guidelines for the MMP, drawing on the eMTCT Framework(s), PHC Re-engineering Framework and National Strategic Plan for HIV/AIDS, TB and STIs and other key district, provincial and national frameworks;
- Prepare policy briefs, documentation and make recommendations for integration of the MM model in the eMTCT Framework(s) at district, provincial and national level;
- Promote the Provincial and National ratification of MMP materials.
Research and publications
- Gather, analyse and present Public Health information to support ongoing efforts towards eMTCT goals in 2015 in South Africa.
Relationship management and representation
- Build effective partnerships between m2m SA, Department of Health and key stakeholders, such as USG agencies, UN agencies and civil society organisations;
- Ensure the timely submission of donor reports and compliance with donor requirements.
- Master’s degree in health sciences, international development, management, or a related field;
- Experience in policy development and planning especially in health, public policy domain;
- Proven track record and extensive experience in providing technical assistance to national
- government, in the context of national scale-up of health programmes in Africa;
- Minimum of seven to ten years demonstrated experience in the field of public health and/or NGO sector including at least five years in PMTCT/HIV/SRH/MCH;
- Familiarity with and comprehensive knowledge of government structures and processes in South Africa, as well as the public health donor and partner landscape;
- Demonstrated strong negotiation, networking and strategic representation skills;
- Solid experience engaging with USG donor funded projects;
- Demonstrated ability and experience in conceptualizing complex strategic scenarios and
- facilitating buy-in and implementation (including exposure to systems theory and/or game theory);
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) with skills in, or other relevant software programmes an advantage;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including expertise in facilitation and partnership liaison;
- Cultural sensitivity to engage participants from all levels and backgrounds;
- Excellent writing and researching skills and ability to work independently;
- Critical thinking, analytical and good problem solving skills;
- Fluency in English and a local language is essential;
- Possession of own car and valid driver’s licence beneficial.
The Technical Specialist will lead the development of capacity building strategy for the SA’s programme, designs appropriate approaches and provides expert technical guidance to implement the capacity building programme aligned to m2m’s strategy.
mothers2mothers is an equal opportunity employer. We particularly encourage applications from people living with HIV and AIDS (PLWHA), people with disabilities and women.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to the Human Resource Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Should you not hear from m2m by 21 December 2012, consider your application unsuccessful.
The organisation reserves the right not to make an appointment.
For more about mothers2mothers, refer to www.m2m.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Twitter at http://twitter.com/SANGONeT.