mothers2mothers: Research Associate
Thursday, February 2, 2012 - 15:07
Please note: this opportunity closing date has passed and may not be available any more.
Opportunity closing date:Friday, February 17, 2012
mothers2mothers seeks to appoint a Research Associate, based in Cape Town.
S/he will provide specialised technical support to research and evaluation activities led by the Evaluations of Operations Research (E/OR) Specialists and conducted in collaboration with other technical Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) specialists, m2m programme staff and other internal and external stakeholders. This role will support activities related to operations research and evaluation of m2m programmes in sub-Saharan Africa in order to inform and strengthen evidence informed quality programming and innovation.
S/he will contribute to m2m evaluation and operations research processes though all stages from conceptualisation, design and data management to write-up and dissemination. This support and coordinating role reports to the Evaluation and Operations Research Technical Specialist, but will also work closely with other specialist M&E positions across the organisation.
- Providing technical support to the Evaluation and Operational Research Specialist:
- Develop research instruments for quantitative and qualitative data collection;
- Verify, codes and cleans large data sets;
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative data analysis;
- Prepare tables and figures for communication of research results;
- Conduct and organises literature reviews and other secondary data searches;
- Contribute to the preparation of professional papers, research reports, presentations, articles and proposals;
- Assist with programme evaluations in all countries, including identifying data sources for comparison;
- Assist with development of study protocols, associated monitoring and evaluation systems, data analysis and data dissemination.
- Coordinating and administrative responsibilities
- Assist with the coordination of research and evaluation project activities with local and international partners;
- Assist with research and evaluation co-ordination and administration, including working with program teams to develop and monitor work plans and budgets, and maintain associated documentation.
- Undertake other tasks as assigned by the Evaluation and Operations Research Technical Specialist and other interdepartmental initiatives based on team and organisational priorities.
- Master’s degree in public health, a social science field or related discipline (biostatistics/ epidemiology advantageous);
- Minimum of two years experience in international health and development or related field conducting research and analysis related to managing research and field-based evaluations and reporting;
- Experience in coordinating evaluations or operations research projects, with a particular emphasis on empirical studies in developing countries with direct relevance to HIV/AIDS and/or peer education and support an advantage;
- Knowledge, skills and experience in quantitative and qualitative research, data collection, management and analysis, report writing and editing, and visual presentation of research findings;
- Experience in analysing large data sets using a statistical software essential, preferably SPSS or willingness to learn SPSS;
- Knowledge, skills and experience in qualitative research will be an advantage;
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office Suite and ability to create database in (ACCESS, Epi Info) and Internet applications including online scientific literature database applications (e.g. JStor, Medscape, webMD )
- Knowledge of quantitative statistical analysis software;
- Attention to detail and ability to work independently;
- Ability to organise and prioritise tasks and meet deadlines ;
- Good written and verbal communications skills in English
- Other languages relevant to m2m’s programmatic context will be an advantage;
- Interpersonal skills with an ability to build relationships in a dynamic multicultural environment
- Values a passionate commitment to make a difference in the lives of women and children.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Should you not hear from m2m by 17 March 2012, consider your application unsuccessful.
For more about mothers2mothers, refer to www.m2m.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies..