Medecins Sans Frontieres/Doctors Without Borders (MSF)
Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation committed to two objectives: providing medical assistance to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion, natural and man-made disasters; and speaking out about the plight of the populations assisted. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF has been providing TB/HIV services in South Africa since 1999 and in Lesotho since 2006. MSF has been working in Khayelitsha, Western Cape for the last ten years initially focusing on access to affordable and safe ARV treatment and later piloting innovative models of care including decentralisation of HIV care to peripheral clinics, integration HIV and TB care, nurse-based initiation of ART and patient-centred DR-TB management. Innovative models of care continue to be piloted in this setting. For 2012 the objectives include children disclosure programme, youth linkage and retention in care programme, patients at risk of failing 1st and 2nd line ART, clinical mentoring, DR-TB decentralized programme and others.
MSF seeks to appoint a Patient Support Manager, based in Khayelitsha, Cape Town.
- Lead, monitor, continually develop and implement the patient support focused youth and children’s programmes within the project in collaboration with the Field Coordinator. In particular, this will involve: a) Further developing the Linkage and Retention in Care Model for predominantly horizontally infected youth through embedding model structures and through partnerships with other organisations. Furthermore it will be necessary to focus on how lessons learnt from the model piloted at a Youth clinic can be translated and implemented as youth friendly services in other general clinics in Khayelitsha so as to better serve horizontally infected youth across the district; b) Further develop and strengthen the Children’s Disclosure Programme at Ubuntu Clinic while developing and implementing strategies for replication; c) Developing and implementing a strategy for on-going support of vertically infected youth across clinics in Khayelitsha whereby children and caregivers are enabled through a disclosure process and then provided on-going support and care which meets the needs of their developmental stage, particularly as they approach and enter adolescence;
- Supervise the Patient Support Unit which comprises of a staff of 7 which predominantly providing counselling support to children, youth and patients at risk of failing 1st and 2nd line ART;
- Provide technical support on patient support activities (educational, emotional and social support activities) within other Khayelitsha project components including: a) Adherence club facilitation; b) ART 1st and 2nd line early failure detection counselling model and c) DR-TB counselling.
- University degree in psychology, social work, health promotion, public health, nursing with specific interest in patient support or related health qualification;
- Management related qualifications an additional advantage;
- Professional experience in HIV/AIDS field and the public health sector;
- Experience in management, psychosocial support of youth and/or children and monitoring and evaluation of psychosocial activities will be an advantage;
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of isiXhosa will be an advantage;
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more about the Médecins Sans Frontières South Africa, refer to www.msf.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.