Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders (MSF)
Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organisation that delivers aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters, or to people that are excluded from access to health care. The organisation has health projects in more than 60 countries.
MSF’s Southern Africa Association has more than 300 members located in Southern African countries. Most of these members work for MSF in the region but the Association actively seeks members who are former MSF fieldworkers and employees.
MSF seeks to appoint an Association Coordinator, based in Johannesburg.
The Association Coordinator is part of a vibrant international network of similar coordinators representing member associations which form the core of MSF’s associative life.
The Association Coordinator is responsible for supporting the MSF Southern Africa Board of Directors to ensure an active link between the Board and Association members. This link is managed through a network of Association representatives located in Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Zambia. Annually all activities culminate in the General Assembly where members of the Association debate, pass motions and elect Board members.
Strategic and Administrative Support
- Support the President to ensure smooth running of the Board and Association;
- Develop policy positions;
- Support other officers and Board members and links to the network of both Operational Centre Brussels associations and MSF associations worldwide;
- Fulfil legal obligations as well as decide on policies and plans that guide the office in South Africa and the Association regionally;
- Provide writing and analytical skills and administrative work which is key to proper Board functioning and association functioning;
- Play a key role in development and implementation of the association’s annual plan;
- Supervise board minute reports and writes quarterly association updates;
- Manage the membership rolls including the application and approval process for new Association members;
- Maintain the Association database, including details of each member’s status and voting eligibility;
- Develop annual Association budget in conjunction with Board members, MSF-South Africa Finance Head and General Director;
- Ongoing budget tracking.
Communication with Association Members
- Support the Board to develop and maintain an ongoing dialogue with association members, especially through representatives (based in Southern African countries), ensure a well informed and dynamic membership;
- Direct the development and administration of the Association website to facilitate information flow and maintain historical records.
- Stay abreast of larger MSF issues and through contact with other association coordinators and the MSF’s International Office (Geneva);
- Support board and membership in taking positions;
- Manage electronic association newsletter with input from Board Members, Association representatives and members, supported in this endeavour by the communications team and publications editor;
- Communicate on a routine basis with the membership, usually via e-mail. This includes deciphering humanitarian and operational issues to facilitate understanding by wider association;
- Conduct briefings and debriefings to introduce field volunteers to the Association;
- Promote membership in the MSF SA Association and attendance at the annual General Assembly (GA) among MSF field workers in the region.
Organising the Annual General Assembly
- Under Board member’s direction, organises and manages the annual GA, including agenda development, international content, representative input;
- All logistics are managed by the Coordinator although there will be support by means of a temporary staff member plus volunteers and international colleagues who will advise and participate in GA;
- Manage process for Board member election;
- Ensure that minutes and formal records of GA are taken for the record and for legal filing requirements;
- Closely follow the Field Associative Debates (FADs) that take place in all MSF countries in order to incorporate their content and feedback into MSF SA's GA;
- Based on previous GAs, develop budget and administer budget to avoid cost overruns.
MSF International Coordination and Representation
- Follow the activities of other MSF Associations;
- Reach out to associative counterparts’ for ideas, best practices, and materials to help build a strong Association;
- Plug into associative network both within Operational Centre Brussels (includes nine entities internationally), and other sections/entities and with the International Office.
- Postgraduate degree in development, international relations, or related discipline;
- Three to five years applicable experience;
- MSF operational, headquarters and/or association experience preferred;
- Knowledge of humanitarian and/or international organisations;
- Track record in coordination and project management;
- Experience in nonprofit governance is a plus;
- Analytical, writing and communications skills is critical;
- English language and writing skills, other Southern African languages a plus;
- Ability to work under pressure and willingness to do flexible hours (some association activities are in the evening or weekends);
- Willingness to travel in Southern Africa and internationally.
To apply, submit a CV and motivational letter for attention: Zoya Naidoo, E-mail: email@example.com. Only applications with the subject line 'Association Coordinator 2013' will be considered.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more about the Médecins Sans Frontières South Africa, refer to www.msf.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.