Khanya College is an independent, non-governmental organisation that assists various constituencies within working class and poor communities to respond to the challenges posed by the forces of economic and political globalisation.
The Khanya Internship programme includes structured mentorship and support for interns, and extensive exposure to the social justice and NGO, CBO and social movements sector.
Khanya College seeks to recruits Interns in five departments, based in Johannesburg.
The following internship positions are opened:
1. Interns in the Research Department
Khanya College’s commitment to social justice work includes the recognition of research directed at promoting social justice, and of research directed at monitoring the impact of Khanya College’s social justice work. The College’s research department has opening for interns to assist with research into the social justice movement and social justice issues.
2. Interns in IT Department
Khanya College’s IT department designs, sets up and maintains an IT network to support its staff and its work. The Department has also designed and programmed three websites for the College, with a couple other websites in the pipeline. In addition, the Department has an extensive computer programming agenda. The department has space for interns to participate and assist in the work of the department.
The interns will participate in all the work of the department under the guidance of the department, and will receive training in various networking and web programming skills.
3. Interns in Heritage and Museum Work
Khanya College has a long history of work in memory work, and currently works with the City of Johannesburg to run the Workers Museum in Newtown. To learn more about the memory work of Khanya, refer to http://www.khanyacollege.org.za/programme/khanya-history-programme.
Khanya College has positions for Interns in its memory and museum work. The interns will assist with various aspects of our heritage and museum work, exhibitions, heritage and memory programmes.
4. Interns in the Publishing Department
As part of its social justice work Khanya College produces a range of publications including a journal, a number of newsletters, a newspaper, books, websites and other publications. Visit Khanya’s various websites to see its wide range of publications. Our publishing department has positions for Interns to assist with the following functions: Sub-editing, layout and design and marketing and distribution.
5. Interns in College Project Administration and Coordination Department
The College has an extensive number of projects and programmes that require dedicated project administration. The College has opening for interns in the Coordination Department. The work of this department involves project management of the various projects, support to the directors of Khanya College, writing and liaison with the College’s network of partners.
The environment at Khanya College offers Interns the following:
- A vibrant and progressive working environment;
- Working relationships with diverse communities and other NGOs, museums, research organisations, locally, regionally and internationally;
- Contacts with various institutions that may support career development options into research, writing, ICTs, legal support for working class communities, organising for social justice, programme management work, publishing, and others;
- Diverse exchange with the public and partnering stakeholders through a wide range of educational and activities and cooperation projects of the College.
- Graduate and post-graduate students who have recently completed studies;
- Tertiary qualification in humanities, an equivalent qualification and/or experience;
- Interest and commitment to social justice in the South African and global contexts;
- Basic skills in the area of work you are applying for.
Starting date: By mutual agreement with the Khanya College.
Remuneration: The College offers a stipend and other benefits to the Interns.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more about Khanya College, refer to www.khanyacollege.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies..
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Facebook at http://mzan.si/AAzs.