Khanya College is an independent, non-governmental organisation that assists various constituencies within working class and poor communities to respond to the challenges posed by the forces of economic and political globalisation.
Khanya College seeks to appoint a Finance Officer, based in Johannesburg.
- Record of all financial transactions using standard electronic accounting software;
- Control of purchasing cycle including preparation of cheques, payment of accounts and reconciliations;
- Control of income cycle including preparation of invoices, statements, collections and reconciliations;
- Maintenance of project-based accounting records;
- Maintain cash, creditor, debtor and payroll subsidiary ledgers;
- Record keeping and filing;
- Perform bank reconciliations;
- Maintenance of policies and procedures manual;
- Maintain asset register.
- Assist the Coordinator of Finance Department with preparation and provision of financial reports to the College & Programme Coordinating Team, The Finance Committee, The Board of Trustees, Programme Co-ordinators (project reports) and donors;
- Assistance with preparation of budgets and monitoring of budgets;
- Assist in development of systems, policies and procedures, particularly in relation to project budgets, funding and reporting, and ensure they are maintained;
- Assist programme employees with budgets and project reporting;
- Management of financial transactions, systems and reports for sister or associated organisations;
- As and when necessary supervise junior staff in the Finance Department.
- Payroll management and administration;
- Ensure statutory compliance;
- Maintain leave records;
- Maintain employee files.
- Manage petty cash and petty cash disbursements on a daily basis;
- Perform, check and approve Petty Cash reconciliation on a daily basis.
- Involvement in the marketing of the organisation;
- Travel in the course of duties from time to time and if necessary to make use of own vehicles for this purpose;
- Be available for out of town travel from time to time. This may take the form of local or international travel;
- Any other duties that may arise from time to time and may reasonably be expected from an employee in your position.
- Post matric professional training/qualification and three to five years experience of financial administration and/or management, preferably in donor funded or project based organisations;
- Understanding of financial administration and bookkeeping, especially in NGO environments;
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office especially Excel and email;
- Ability to use electronic project based accounting/ bookkeeping systems (Quickbooks is preferred);
- Experience in budgeting and planning;
- Knowledge and experience with payroll administration and electronic payroll systems (e.g. VIP);
- Commitment to meticulous detail required in finance work;
- Ability to develop, maintain and review systems and procedures;
- Ability to interact appropriately and comfortably with senior and junior colleagues, donors and the public;
- Valid driver’s license will be an advantage.
Black women are encouraged to apply.
Khanya College offers:
- Vibrant and progressive working environment;
- Working relationships with diverse communities and other NGOs, museums, and other community news organisations organisations, locally, regionally and internationally;
- Position with career development options into writing, organising for social justice, programme management work;
- Diverse exchange with the public and partnering stakeholders through a wide range of educational and activities and cooperation projects of the College.
Starting date: 1 April 2012 (latest 1 May 2012).
Salary: R101 000 - R127 500 per annum, total cost to company depending on experience and skills. The College offers traditional benefits like medical aid, provident fund, and 13th month cheque.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Interviews will be held on 24 March 2012.
For more about Khanya College, refer to www.khanyacollege.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.