Kagiso Trust is an organisation focusing on empowering poor marginalised South Africans so as to affirm their place and participation in the larger social institution.
Kagiso Trust seeks to appoint a Company Secretary, based in Johannesburg.
The company secretary’s role is to develop and enforce a compliance framework culture to safeguard the integrity of the organisation and to promote high standards of corporate governance and ethical behaviour. The person also has a significant role in assisting the board, chairperson and executives to drive and achieve the vision and strategic objectives of the Trust as he/she develops a corporate governance framework. The company secretary will administer services to a number of trusts and companies.
The company secretary will be responsible for the following:
- Creation and maintenance of information systems to be used in decision making and to ensure effective information flows within the Board and to and from its committees and the Executives;
- Responsibility for the maintenance of all organisational statutory requirements that include general Trust Laws and Company Act registration administration processes;
- Attendance of all Board meetings and acting in close cooperation with the Chairman of the meeting. This includes making valuable contributions to the discussions and reminding trustees and company directors of the decision making processes that have legal implications for the Trust;
- In preparation for meetings the person has to assemble and collate information and present this information in a logical format to enable the Board to make decisions;
- After all meetings the company secretary has to draft accurate minutes of the meeting and ensure that the Board’s policies and decisions are implemented;
- Ensuring the company adheres to Corporate Governance by monitoring developments especially in relation to King 111 and other governance codes;
- Liaising with the company’s attorneys on all legal matters.
The qualities required for the position would include:
- Computer literacy;
- Sound judgement;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English;
- Logical thinking;
- Ability to deal discreetly with highly confidential information;
- Keen interest in the Trust and Company laws;
- Good organisation and administration skills;
- Confidence to communicate with people at all levels;
- Ability to make decisions;
- The ability to work under pressure;
- Effective organisational ability and time management;
- Strict attention to detail;
- Ability to absorb technical information and translation into practice.
- Chartered Secretaries and Administration (Southern Africa) CIS;
- Diploma in legal secretariat work;
- A bachelor's degree is highly commendable;
- Work experience.
Closing date: 6 September 2013
Contact person: Kindly e-mail your CV and supporting documentation to Linda Frampton on firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about Kagiso Trust, refer to www.kagiso.co.za.