LAST FEW DAYS to comment on draft Code of Governance for the Non-profit Sector
The deadline is fast approaching for Comment on the draft Code of Governance for the non-profit sector. During the past two months the Working Group (which is guiding this initiative) has received many comments and suggestions on the draft Code via email and through the consultative meetings that they have held across the country. The response to the draft document has been extraordinary in its depth of engagement and analysis as well as in the number of people that have responded to the call for comment.
We would like to gather as many comments as possible and are asking organisations that have not yet responded please to forward their comments by 30th April.
Comments already received include the following:
- The need for a glossary of definitions because some of the words used in the Code, although accurate, are not part of everyday language in the NPO sector;
- Given changes in the legislation and environment in which NPOs operate , there may be a need, in time, to revise the draft Code. There needs to be a clause that would guide that process of amendment or review;
- There has been much recent discussion in the media on social entrepreneurship in the sector and the Code needs to provide some guidance on this issue.
The consultative meetings have seen much discussion on the need for a monitoring process for the Code.
Discussions have included the following:
- Where will the Code be institutionalised?
- Who will “police” the Code and should it be “policed”?
- Should the Code be voluntary/mandatory or a bit of both?
In addition to these key issues, there are a number of important process matters that need to be addressed in the Code – so please provide us with your thoughts/comments/suggestions on any aspect of the draft Code or the process that will follow.
The deadline for comments is the 30th April 2012 and you can access the draft Code and additional information regarding this initiative and the Working Group at http://www.inyathelo.org.za/research/non-profit-code-of-governance.html
Please send your comments to Janine@inyathelo.org.za or you can call 021 465 6981 to give us your thoughts.