International Centre for Eyecare Education
The International Centre for Eyecare Education (ICEE) is a not-for-profit, NGO that is helping to bring much-needed eye care within reach of people around the world. ICEE's mission is to help eliminate avoidable blindness and impaired vision, particularly due to uncorrected refractive error. The organisation works in collaboration with the community and with other organisations to target local needs, including providing immediate care and building sustainable services.
ICEE seeks to appoint a Research Manager, based in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal.
The person will oversee and manage the research activities and staff in its Research Division in the Africa office.
ICEE research and project support
- Assist ICEE and its stakeholders with writing scientific papers, presentations and abstracts and general technical assistance as needed;
- Assist with research project support in various forms;
- Assist with writing research proposals;
- Provide research supervision and support within the research team;
- Undertake research and publish findings;
- Source funding for research activities.
- In collaboration with ICEE Senior Management, ensure that legally sound and acceptable policies and procedures are in place and observed;
- Give input into the development and implementation of annual goals and objectives;
- In collaboration with ICEE Senior Management and finance department, ensure sound financial operations within the department;
- Keep relevant records and documents;
- Ensure that work is conducted ethically, responsibly and to the best ability.
Training and support/capacity building
- Write and /or edit training material as required;
- Organise and/or conduct training;
- Undertake or source necessary technical research and training for staff to provide appropriate technical support to stakeholders;
- Provide supervision support for all research staff.
- Develop and maintain effective communication lines between all relevant stakeholders;
- Provide ethical leadership to all stakeholders;
- Maintain good lines of communication with relevant ICEE personnel and collaborators;
- Submit accurate reports on time;
- Conduct relevant meetings for communication of information;
- Prepare and disseminate newsletters, media briefs and presentations as needed.
Resources management and human resources
- Orientate personnel to activities and policies of the organisation;
- In collaboration with ICEE Senior Management, develop and sign off job descriptions as needed;
- Provide adequate training and mentoring for junior staff where needed as per job description;
- Undertaken performance reviews and associated activities;
- Supervise Administrator’s activities;
- Advise on recruitment, retention and retrenchment of staff as per programme needs, as needed.
- In collaboration with ICEE Senior Management, develop annual budgets for approval and implementation;
- Efficiently and effectively manage the approved budget;
- Submit monthly cash flows to finance department;
- Provide monthly narrative against variance report from finance;
- Develop proposals for submission to potential funders.
- PHD in a relevant discipline such as public health, optometry or any of the ophthalmic, social or biological sciences;
- Experience in public health research;
- Experience undertaking and supervising field and desk based research;
- Experience in all aspects of the research environment including management of staff;
- Experience developing research proposals, reports and annual plans;
- Experience developing and controlling large research budgets;
- Experience designing training materials and conducting research training courses;
- Experience planning, writing and editing scientific papers for publication in referred and non-referred journals.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to email@example.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about the International Centre for Eyecare Education, refer to www.icee.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow and support the 2012 SANGONeT "No Pain No Gain" fundraising and awareness-raising campaign. Refer to www.ngopulse.org/npng for more information.