Institute for Justice and Reconciliation
Join IJR’s Policy and Analysis (PA) Unit and apply for the position as Project Officer: Reconciliation Barometer.
The Policy and Analysis Unit within IJR is responsible for the commissioning, analysis and reporting of public opinion surveys that help measure and reflect national and regional issues that centre around economic and transitional justice, transformation and reconciliation. The Unit is widely known for publications such as the annual Transformation Audit and Reconciliation Barometer and has recently partnered with the Afrobarometer to manage rollout and implementation of the survey in ten regions in Southern Africa.
The Reconciliation Barometer (RB) is a national survey-based public opinion project, located in the IJR’s Policy and Analysis (PA) Unit in Cape Town. Since its launch in 2003, the Barometer has measured citizen attitudes towards national reconciliation, social cohesion, economic transformation, and democratic governance in South Africa.
The IJR seeks to recruit a talented and experienced Project Officer to support implementation of this flagship project and raise its profile in South Africa and internationally.
- Data analysis of SA Reconciliation Barometer Data;
- Participate in the development of an annual plan for the design and implementation of the RB;
- Update and manage the RB blog;
- Project manage and assist with organising regular events to promote discussion of issues raised by the RB;
- Contribute to Policy and Analysis programme strategy development and implementation planning;
- Brief stakeholders, policymakers and potential subscribers of IJR about reconciliation and transformation processes, drawing on statistical analysis of public opinion data results;
- Develop a publicity and public engagement strategy;
- Attend conference and presentations that contribute to the Programme’s impact and public profile Produce regular opinion pieces, and policy briefs based on the content of the RB.
- Recent post-graduate degree majoring in Politics, Economics, or Sociology;
- A high level of proficiency in the analysis in the analysis of quantitative social data using SPSS, SAS or STATISTICA;
- Extensive knowledge and appreciation of the broader socio-political context in Southern Africa – must be passionate about developing a deeper understanding about reconciliation;
- Exceptional writing and editorial skills;
- Must be a South African Citizen or have a valid working permit;
- Willingness to travel in Africa, and occasionally beyond, on a regular basis;
- Good interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work in a multi-national environment, An ability to see the ‘bigger picture’ and connect the dots between such findings and broader policy debates;
- A flair for effective communication, which includes excellent writing and editorial skills, active social media skills, interaction with the media, and public speaking.
Documents required for application:
Submit a letter of motivation, CV with one contactable references, and salary expectations to Simone Brandi, Email: email@example.com.
Name: Simone Brandi
Phone: 021 202 4071
For more about the Institute for Justice and Reconciliation, refer to www.ijr.org.za.