Institute for Justice and Reconciliation (IJR)
The Institute for Justice and Reconciliation (IJR) was founded in 2000 in the wake of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, with the purpose of building of fair, democratic and inclusive societies in Africa. IJR is an independent organisation located at the interface between civil society and academia. IJR employs a diverse team of professionals based at the organisation's office in Cape Town.
The AfroBarometer is an independent, nonpartisan research project that measures the social, political, and economic atmosphere in Africa. AfroBarometer surveys are conducted in 35 countries African countries and are repeated on a regular cycle. Because the instrument asks a standard set of questions, countries can be systematically compared. Trends in public attitudes are tracked over time. Results are shared with a wide variety of stakeholders such as policy advocates, civic educators, donors and journalists as well as average Africans who wish to become more informed and active citizens.
The IJR seeks to recruit a talented and experienced Project Officer: AfroBarometer (AB) to support implementation of this flagship project and raise its profile in South Africa and internationally.
- Assist the Project Manager in production of work plans and budget proposals from National Partners and ensure timely and effective implementation of survey activities by each National Partner (NP) as accordance to the AfroBarometer standards;
- Carefully review National Partners` deliverables and providing feedback within a week and ensuring that they meet AfroBarometer standards;
- Assists NPs to effectively plan and implement fieldwork activities to AB standards and meeting all AB protocols;
- Assess National Partners` capabilities in producing required press releases, bulletins, and providing as much technical assistance as necessary to ensure the documents are produced in a timely way and meeting the AB standards;
- Contribute to Project outreach by making periodic presentations at public briefings, conferences, workshops or press events;
- Prepare Afrobarometer reports for IJR and for AB and any other reports as required by AB or IJR;
- Assist the Afrobarometer Project Manager and IJR Head of Policy and Research on any other Project tasks as needed.
- Recent post-graduate degree majoring in politics, economics, development studies, social psychology or another relevant social science degree;
- Proven ability and experience in the analysis of opinion data with statistical packages, such as SPSS;
- Willingness to travel in Africa, and occasionally beyond, on a regular basis (especially AfroBarometer);
- Good interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work in a multi-national environment, An ability to see the ‘bigger picture’ and connect the dots between such findings and broader policy debates;
- A flair for effective communication, which includes excellent writing and editorial skills, active social media skills, interaction with the media, and public speaking.
IJR, in return, offers a competitive all inclusive salary package and a dynamic working environment, which prioritises the professional development and wellbeing of its employees.
Commencement date: January 2014.
For full job description and to apply, refer to http://www.ijr.org.za/vacancies.php.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about the Institute for Justice and Reconciliation, refer to www.ijr.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Facebook athttps://www.facebook.com/ngopulse