Institute for Justice and Reconciliation
The Institute for Justice and Reconciliation (IJR) was founded in 2000 in the wake of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and with the purpose of building of fair, democratic and inclusive societies in Africa. IJR are an independent organisation located at the interface between civil society and academia. The organisation employs a diverse team of professionals based at our office in Cape Town. The Building an Inclusive Society Programme (BIS) works mainly in South Africa with various communities in different provinces. The programme works with five projects: Community Healing, Ashley Kriel Youth Leadership project, School’s Oral History, Education for Reconciliation and Memory, Arts and Culture.
The Institute for Justice and Reconciliation's Building an Inclusive Society Programme seeks to appoint an Intern, based in Cape Town.
The purpose of this paid internship will be to work across the five projects and assist with design and implementation as well as reporting of the projects.
Starting date: 20 January 2014
This is a six-month contract with option for renewal.
- Adhoc tasks like: Scanning, filing, printing and archiving;
- Data capturing;
- Minute taking;
- Community interviewing / facilitation;
- Desktop research;
- Legacy project based on topic of personal interest based on BIS work.
- Possession of, or in the process of completing a postgraduate degree in political studies, public administration, development studies or a related discipline;
- Good communication skills;
- Understanding of grassroots communities in South Africa;
- Fluent in minimum of two of the eleven official languages in South Africa;
- Confident and time conscious;
- Aware of socio-political issues in South Africa;
- Pro-active, responsible and accountable;
- Knowledge how to operate audio-visual gadgets;
- Writing skills;
- Computer literacy in all aspects of MS Office;
- General Administrative Skills;
- Ability to use initiative and judgment;
- Time management skills;
- Attention to detail.
Intern Salary: R4 500 per month.
To apply, submit the following to Lucretia Arendse at LArendse@ijr.org.za with ‘Application 2014 Internship: Your Name’ in the email subject line:
- Two-page CV and full contact details of two contactable references;
- One-page letter of motivation indicating why you wish to be an intern at IJR and in this particular programme;
- An unedited writing sample (i.e. a university essay, article etc) of at least three pages in length, preferably on a topic broadly related to transitional justice issues. Published documents are welcome;
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only Complete Applications will be considered.
Enquiries: Lucretia Arendse, E-mail: LArendse@ijr.org.za, Tel: 021 202 4071
If you have not heard from us by end of January, you can assume your application has been unsuccessful. We encourage applications from historically disadvantaged individuals.
This position will only be offered to South African nationals or candidates with permanent residence status in South Africa.
Please state clearly for which position you are applying for
For more about the Institute for Justice and Reconciliation, refer to www.ijr.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.