Institute for Justice and Reconciliation (IJR)
Institute for Justice and Reconciliation (IJR) is based in Cape Town and was founded in 2000, in the wake of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, with the purpose of building of fair, democratic and inclusive societies in Africa. IJR is an independent organisation located at the interface between civil society and academia. IJR employs a diverse team of professionals based at our office in Cape Town.
The Policy and Analysis Unit within IJR is responsible for the commissioning, analysis and reporting of public opinion surveys that help measure and reflect national and regional issues that centre around economic and transitional justice, transformation and reconciliation. The Unit is widely known for publications such as the annual Transformation Audit and Reconciliation Barometer and has recently partnered with the AfroBarometer to manage rollout and implementation of the survey in ten regions in Southern Africa.
The Afrobarometer is an independent, nonpartisan research project that measures the social, political, and economic atmosphere in Africa. Afrobarometer surveys are conducted in 35 countries African countries and are repeated on a regular cycle.
IJR seeks to appoint a Communications Officer - AfroBarometer, based in Cape Town.
The key purpose of this position is to ensure that the Afrobarometer data is communicated effectively and efficiently and the usage of data is promoted within the Southern Africa region. It involves training of National Partners in media and presentation skills, writing press releases and presentations; reviewing documents produced by the National Partners for publication; assisting National Partners in event planning; managing policy outreach in the countries within the core partner region; developing working relationships with journalists and non-governmental organization; and assisting the Afrobarometer Network Communications Manager in developing a continent-wide communications strategy.
- Initiate and maintain relationships with media and journalists in the region and develop a media strategy in collaboration with the national partners, core partner and Afrobarometer Communications manager for each country;
- Work with National Partners to develop dissemination and media strategies, and to plan and prepare for dissemination events;
- Monitor media outlets within countries under Core Partner jurisdiction for news that relates to Afrobarometer;
- Help maintain dissemination, press release and report calendars of the Afrobarometer;
- Plan and execute project-oriented media and NGO outreach/community events;
- Research specific issues or inquiries regarding program- or project-related topics;
- Assist the Communication Manager and Web-Site Coordinator to produce content for the Afrobarometer website, Twitter and Facebook;
- Assist the Communications manager with tracking media in the region;
- Promote usage of Afrobarometer data in Southern Africa region among Civil society and Government;
- Initiate and maintain relationships with civil society & governance organizations;
- Develop and execute outreach and other projects to keep generating coverage for Afrobarometer following the close of official disseminations;
- Works with Network Communication Manager and Capacity Building Manager on training national partners in communications skills, public speaking, use of social media and related skills.
For more information, requirements and to apply, refer http://www.ijr.org.za/vacancies.php.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about the Institute for Justice and Reconciliation, refer to www.ijr.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.