The Inner Circle
The Inner Circle (TIC) is a leading human rights organisation which is based in Cape Town. It was founded in 1996 but during this time, it remained an informal organisation. The organisation continued to grow and in 1998, it was established as the Al-Fitrah Foundation before it was registered as TIC in 2006. At the depths of the organisation is the quest for transformation in the Islamic community and faith as far as the relationship between Islam, sexual orientation and gender identity is concerned.
TIC believes that an objective interpretation of the Quran shows us that sexual diversity is permissible under the Islamic faith. The organisation strongly believes in the rarefied values of human dignity, equity and justice as provided for in the Quran. TIC is currently contacting a needs analysis research. TIC seeks to ensure that the Islamic community makes a paradigmatic shift from the orthodox belief that only heterosexuality is permissible under the Islamic faith to an Islam which embraces other sexualities.
TIC seeks to appoint four Research Assistants, based in Cape Town, Johannesburg, Durban and Port Elizabeth.
The successful candidates will assist with conducting the field research.
This is part-time research position which can be contacted from 1 May to 31 July 2014
- Should be an Islam who does not discriminate people on the basis of sexuality, religion and gender;
- First degree in social sciences;
- Current university students (social sciences) with research experience can be considered;
- Strong research skills and analytical skills;
- Previous research experience advantageous;
- Knowledge of Islam is not required but essential willingness to work long and irregular hours;
- Attention to detail;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to interact with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Willingness to travel
To apply, submit a CV with contactable references and a one page motivation letter to email@example.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Please indicate the location from which you are able to do the research.
Note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
For more about The Inner Circle, refer to http://theinnercircle.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.