IkamvaYouth is a township-based volunteer programme that gets learners out of poverty and into university has once again shown that transformation is possible, despite the odds.
IkamvaYouth seeks to appoint a Human Resources (HR) Coordinator, based in Johannesburg.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a team of change makers and to play a pivotal role in a by-youth for-youth educational movement that empowers young people to take their futures into their own hands. S/he is expected to be an enthusiastic and proactive social entrepreneur who is passionate about the power of education to transform lives and communities; a person who aims to make a difference.
- Effective recruitment and selection of 'A'-player candidates to support the organisation’s scaling needs;
- Management of all aspects of the recruitment process from developing job profiles and placing adverts, to screening, shortlisting and vetting selected candidates (e.g. police clearance and reference checks etc.);
- Develop interviewing and assessment guidelines, and advise managers on candidate selection;
- Manage diversity and gender balance in the organisation’s employee base;
- Conduct and analyse exit interviews.
Compensation and performance management:
- Monitor and evaluate the organisation’s salaries relative to NGO sector benchmarks;
- Work closely with Finance to prepare salary forecasts and performance bonus targets;
- Support payroll administration;
- Manage performance reviews across the organisation; work with line managers to support and facilitate staff development and organisational capacity building.
Documentation and tracking:
- Draft and document all human resource records, and maintain staff files (e.g. employment contracts, disciplinary letters, performance reviews etc.);
- Track employee leave and benefits including study assistance and medical aid contribution.
Employee Relations and compliance
- Stay abreast of changing legislation, LRA requirements and HR policies;
- Ensure that disciplinary enquiries are in line with legislative requirements;
- Advise and assist line managers on compliance with the company policies, procedures and associated disciplinary actions in a fair and consistent manner;
- Seek advice, consult with external labour specialists as and when the need arises and efficiently translate the advice into practical application within the organisation;
- Conduct prompt, thorough investigations in response to employee relations matters;
- Facilitate workshops on training, disciplinary matters, staff grievances, HR policies & procedures.
HR planning, staff development and strategy
- Contribute to HR thought leadership at IkamvaYouth by preparing, updating and recommending HR policies and procedures;
- Support the organisation in developing an effective HR succession plan;
- Support development of employee wellness guidelines and programmes to enhance employee retention;
- Drive study assistance committee; receiving applications from staff for contribution towards fees and making recommendations to the committee
- Identify staff members’ professional development needs, and ensure access to relevant development, extension, coaching and/or training opportunities
- Serve as an active member of the HR and Governance Board Sub Committee which meets quarterly, with responsibility for developing the agenda and compiling the committee pack.
- Minimum three year’s experience in HR management;
- HR related degree (ie. BCom HR, Industrial Psychology, MBA);
- Knowledge of the NGO Sector, and South African labour laws and regulations;
- Ability to work under pressure, and manage complex and/or conflicting priorities;
- Able to work independently and take initiative;
- Well organised and able to manage own time;
- Analytical skills and high attention to detail;
- Planning and budgeting skills;
- Experience working with automated HR management and payroll software;
- Excellent interpersonal skills (Firmness allied with compassion and empathy; ability to effect diplomacy, courtesy and tact);
- Approachable, ability to listen attentively, excellent communicator;
- Ability to work in a very geographically dispersed organisation;
- Team player, excellent collaborator;
- Empathetic and good fit with IY values and culture.
Starting date: 1 April 2015.
Salary: Market related according to skills and experience.
To apply please send a letter of motivation and CV to email@example.com with the subject, "HR Coordinator".
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Correspondence will be limited to shortlisted candidates only. No late applications will be accepted.
IkamvaYouth reserves the right not to appoint or appoint at a different level.
For more about IkamvaYouth, refer to http://ikamvayouth.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.