Higher Education South Africa (HESA) is a national association that represents the interests of the South African public universities through its key roles of advocacy, strategic research and sector support services. HESA also encourages cooperation among universities and among partners with whom it shares interests. The Executive Office, comprising 40 staff members, is based in Pretoria. As a nonprofit organisation, HESA is funded through membership fees and revenues from contract management services and donor agencies. Applications are therefore invited for the positions of Director: Finance and Administration; Manager: Research and Policy Analysis; Human Resources Officer and Project Manager: National Information Service for Higher Education. These positions present an exceptional opportunity for qualifying professionals to join HESA and help it achieve its growth targets.
Director: Finance and Administration
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or qualified Chartered Accountant;
- MBA or MBL will be an added advantage;
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience in financial management;
- Experience in managing a budget of more than R100 million;
- Minimum of 5 years’ senior management or leadership experience in a finance environment;
- Strong knowledge of leading financial and accounting practices (GAAP/IFRS);
- Sound knowledge of the Companies Act, as amended and King III;
- Sound knowledge of taxation;
- Ability to gather information and write professional reports;
- Proven experience in compiling financial statements and reports for publication;
- Excellent strategic planning skills;
- Knowledge of risk, asset and procurement processes.
Manager: Research and Policy Analysis
HESA seeks to appoint a Manager: Policy and Research to assist with its research and policy analysis work with a view to strengthening its advocacy positions on a range of policy matters with implications for Higher Education. This role requires a great deal of flexibility and drive, the ability to manage multiple priorities, and a positive team orientation. This position provides an invaluable opportunity to be immersed in and promote the interests of Higher Education in South Africa.
- A minimum of a Master's Degree, although a PhD is preferable;
- 5 or more years in similar positions;
- Exemplary writing and verbal communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to organise and work in partnership teams with other organisations and consultants Proven experience in the writing of project/technical research reports and/or proceedings;
- Time management and organisational skills to balance multiple projects and partners concurrently;
- Experience in conceptualising, and managing complex research projects and/or consultants for commissioned studies;
- A passion for positive social change and excellence in its achievement;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact with senior officials in the Higher Education and public sectors; and Advanced computer literacy.
Project Manager: National Information Service for Higher Education
The role of the Project Manager is to conceptualise, design, plan and manage the implementation of the National Information Service for Higher Education (NISHE) project, and promote the project’s range of services professionally within the Higher Education Sector, and externally within the schooling system.
- A post-matric qualification in Education or related discipline;
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in conceptualising, designing, implementing and managing information campaigns;
- Strong communication skills including verbal and writing skills;
- Proven high level skills of project planning, organisation and report writing;
- A sound knowledge of the schooling system, South African Higher Education System, Further Education and Training college sector;
- Proven experience in material and content development;
- Experience in developing and implementing creative concepts in print, web and electronic media environment;
- Ability to act on own initiative as and when necessary within policy guidelines;
- Ability to adapt to changing situations, be flexible, set priorities, and manage time;
- Strong writing, editing and graphic design skills;
- Ability to effectively liaise and network with partners and stakeholders.
If you are interested in any of these exciting positions please see the full set of responsibilities on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za
If you wish to apply please send an updated CV and a motivation letter clearly stating why you believe that your skills and experience make you a suitable candidate to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please also download and complete the Action Appointments biosummary form which can be found at the top of the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za.