Habitat for Humanity International
Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) is a nonprofit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry. The purpose and goal of Habitat for Humanity International is to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the world, and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action. HFHI invites people of all backgrounds, races and religions to build houses in partnership with families in need.
In Africa and the Middle East (AME), HFHI is building homes in 19 countries. By working in partnership with families to provide safe affordable shelter, Habitat empowers them to break the cycle of poverty and build the foundation for a secure future.
HFHI seeks to appoint a Microfinance Housing Specialist for its Africa/Middle East area office, based in Pretoria, South Africa.
The person will report to the Housing Finance Director and may involve up to 40% travel throughout the AME region. The person is responsible for leading the design, definition, and execution of models and methodologies for Habitat’s housing financial services to the poor in AME.
The Housing Finance Specialist will be responsible for the promotion and advancement of the Housing Microfinance (HMF) strategy and programme across the AME area.
- Serve as lead subject matter expert in the design, planning, monitoring and evaluation of housing microfinance programmes in the region;
- Work in collaboration with regional programme teams and the global Housing Finance Leadership Team to lead and steward the strategic integration of financial services with Habitat’s work;
- Designs, develop, promote, define and refine housing (micro) finance products and partnerships with financial institutions;
- Provide advice on the development of finance options (grants for savings and loans, piloting grants, loan guarantees, risk mitigation grants, refinancing credit, and the like);
- Develop reporting standards for retail and wholesale lending programmes;
- Guide National Organisations to develop social performance indicators and integrate them in the retail lending reports; maintains and monitors consolidated AME wide report.
Resources development and investment strategies
- Collaborate interdepartmentally in the development of competitive proposals and reporting structures for financial literacy and housing finance;
- Lead and implement the regional investment strategy for HFH’s housing finance programmes;
- Lead regional efforts for mobilizing social investment to the market of low income housing;
- Coordinate all AME investments that impact the HFHI balance sheet.
- Minimum of five combined experience in the field of microfinance/development finance;
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, development, or a degree in a related field and equivalent field experience;
- Fluent in English (both spoken and written);
- Strong people skills with the ability to communication cross-culturally and work in team environment;
- Proven organisational and project management skills;
- Ability to work independently, often managing multiple and simultaneous tasks at varying levels of complexity and detail.
Will be an advantage:
- Minimum of two years working in the Africa or Middle East context strongly encouraged;
- Master’s degree in business, finance, development or a degree in a related field and equivalent field experience will be strongly preferred;
- Proven experience in housing microfinance, housing finance and community development work will be highly valued;
- Knowledge of French, Arabic, and/or Portuguese will be an added bonus;
- Experience in market research.
Apply online, click here.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
HFHI is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all its positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, colour, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
If you have not received a response within six weeks after the closing date for applications, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
For more about Habitat for Humanity International, refer to www.habitat.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow and support the 2012 SANGONeT "No Pain No Gain" fundraising and awareness-raising campaign. Refer to www.ngopulse.org/npng for more information.