habitat for Humanity Uganda
Habitat For Humanity International (HFHI), generally referred to as Habitat for Humanity or Habitat, is an international non-governmental, nonprofit organisation devoted to building simple, decent, and affordable housing. In Africa and the Middle East (AME), Habitat for Humanity is building homes in 19 countries. By working in partnership with families to provide safe affordable shelter, Habitat empowers them to break the cycle of poverty and build the foundation for a secure future.
Habitat seeks to appoint a Country Housing Microfinance (HMF) Project Manager, based in Uganda.
The person will lead the overall implementation of the project “Building the Shelter Assets of the Poor” in the country. The Project Manager will play the role of relationship manager with partner institutions as well as being the master-consultant, overseeing the whole capacity building initiative.
The person will report to the Regional AME Housing Microfinance Project Manager.
- Overall leadership and oversight of the project in Uganda;
- Participate in the partnership selection process;
- Undertake market research (using qualitative and quantitative tools) and product development activities for MFIs;
- Undertake the institutional technical assessments to identify needs to strengthen partner institutions to increase their capacity to implement the HMF product developed;
- Participate in the planning, and, implement institutional technical assistance plans to strengthen partner institutions. It may include:
o Review, and adjustment of existing operational processes and procedures to facilitate implementation of the Housing Microfinance products and housing support services
o Involvement in conducting MFI HMF loan process reviews to identify the resources required information inputs and outputs as well as the identification of associated risks. Propose appropriate risk mitigation / controls.
o Risk and mitigation controls,
o Development of marketing tools, and development of any other HMF related toolkits)
o Others as required
- Review international housing / microfinance best practices and ensure that MFIs procedures take these into account in accordance with the local laws, and context;
- Support the MFIs in the review, development and implementation of appropriate reporting tools / management information systems for the HMF products and services;
- Explore and recommend appropriate Housing Support Service (HSS) combinations to add value to the Housing Microfinance activities undertaken by the MFIs;
- Support MFIs to review existing housing microfinance related products and fine-tune them as necessary to address both operational constraints and match the needs, preferences, and capacities of target populations, according to the local markets/ context;
- Facilitate the development of new housing microfinance products and HSS focusing on specific segments in line with MFIs missions and visions, and according to the target population aimed to be reached through the program implementation;
- Facilitate the review and/or development of Housing Microfinance Business Plans for the MFIs;
- Provide and/or oversee training and technical support to the management and operational team to ensure that targets set forth in the business plan are met;
- Conduct due diligence, review proposals submitted by MFIs and recommend to management on suitability for capacity building intervention;
- Provide support in the preparation of Terms of Reference (TORs) and engagement of service providers for the capacity building and technical assistance interventions;
- Identify constraints and promising opportunities for housing finance development in the respective country and develop scalable partnerships and/or linkages to help leverage and expand the impact of the services;
- Facilitate the development of information systems to monitor and evaluate the impact of the Housing Microfinance programs in the respect countries;
- Develop replicable processes, tools and methodologies and coordinate with the organisational learning department at HFHI/AME to develop a repository for these which can be shared across other countries through a learning network;
- Document case studies that can be used to enhance organisational learning;
- Participate in organizational learning forums either in country or international;
- Manage and supervise in-country consultants involved in capacity building and technical assistance;
- Undertake in-country partnership coordination role;
- Undertake collection of monitoring information and monthly/quarterly project reporting.
Key result areas:
- Capacity Building: Working with other relevant international and regional staff and consultants to build the capacity of MFIs to undertake successful HMF programmes at scale. Seek potential MFIs to be engaged in future HMF bundled with HSS product development
- Innovation/Research and Development: Take leadership and oversight in market research, designing Housing Microfinance products and developing innovative delivery mechanisms. Will also be involved in the selection of potentially innovative Housing Microfinance partnerships
- Systems design: Design systems for detailed work planning and implementation, monitoring / managing risk and internal / external reporting and ensure that they are functional
- Programme Development and reporting: Support the development and strengthening of the activities of the project in a bid to achieve greater scale, sustainability, and minimising risk. Responsible for collection of monitoring information in-country and monthly project reporting
- Representation and Networking: Represent the organization to Housing and Microfinance Associations, Peers, learning forums and other networks
- Honors degree in social sciences, business administration, economics, microfinance, rural economy, commerce or agric. economics. Postgraduate qualification will be an advantage;
- Professional training in relevant areas of Microfinance and housing microfinance;
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience (three of which should have been at senior management level) in microfinance, housing finance, research or development;
- Knowledge of quantitative and qualitative analysis techniques;
- Experience in conducting research studies and involvement in product development processes
- Training skills and proven experience will be preferred;
- Experience supervising large research teams and consultants;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and training skills coupled with a high level of customer service;
- Strong business management and negotiation skills;
- Excellent report writing skills and computer literacy;
- Excellent organisational planning and analytical skills;
- Strong willingness to work in the field;
- High level of commitment to community work with minimum supervision
- Fluency in English;
- Conversant with the regulatory framework for the Microfinance industry in Uganda.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Should you not hear from Habitat For Humanity International within six weeks after the closing date, consider your application unsuccessful.
For more about the HFHI, refer to www.habitat.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Twitter at http://twitter.com/SANGONeT.