Greenpeace is a non-governmental environmental organisation that works to ensure that the earth has the ability to nurture life in all its diversity. The organisation focuses its work on worldwide issues such as global warming, deforestation, overfishing, commercial whaling and anti-nuclear issues.
Greenpeace Africa seeks to appoint a part-time Face-To-Face Canvasser, based in Johannesburg, South Africa.
This job’s purpose is to increase financial resources of the organisation by recruiting new financial supporters in main shopping areas, door-to-door and other fundraising contexts (Eg concerts, festivals and workplaces) throughout South Africa.
This is a part-time position of 30 hours per week.
- Developing a detailed understanding of the environmental issues on which Greenpeace;
- Campaigns. This will be through training and updates given as well as personal information gathering;
- Approaching the public and building rapport;
- Presenting information about the organisation and campaigns in clear ways to the public;
- Meeting set targets for the value of memberships to be recruited each week;
- Understanding and completing the bank forms necessary;
- Offering good customer service and feeling of gratitude and belonging to new supporters;
- Customer care and information for existing members and those who decide not to join;
- Making telephone calls for missing information necessary to process membership;
- Constant personal development of approach and skills on the job;
- Assisting with supporting and training of fellow team members;
- Promoting a good image of the organisation and of our fundraising programme.
Greenpeace Africa encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. The successful applicant will be outgoing and positive, able to easily build rapport with a diverse range of people, have confidence in a sales interaction, have excellent communication skills and have the enthusiasm and motivation to promote Greenpeace. A passion for the environment is essential.
Essential is the ability to reach fundraising targets, handle rejection and objections.
Ideally candidates would have a great sense of humour, direct selling experience and some environmental knowledge.
Training and Support:
If we take you on as a fundraiser we will spend a few days training you for your new role. This initial training will give you information about Greenpeace as an organisation, what we campaign on, why and tell you about our history and successes. We will also give you scripts and training for the role including role-plays and frequently asked questions. We will give you lots of useful information and fact-sheets to use on the job. You will be working closely with a team leader every day. They will help you out with any problems you come across while you’re still learning.
We also have on-going training: Team leaders will work with you and assist with any difficulties.
We have a meeting every week, in which more campaign and fundraising information are shared,
Campaigners give talks and questions and difficulties can be discussed.
- Grade 12;
- Experience in a target driven environment would be advantageous;
- Computer literacy.
Greenpeace Africa is committed to the achievement of diversity and equity in employment.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to Zipporah Masilo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Should you not be contacted within two weeks of closing date, consider their applications unsuccessful.
For more about Greenpeace Africa, refer to www.greenpeace.org/africa/en.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.