Greenpeace is a non-governmental environmental organisation that works to ensure that the earth has the ability to nurture life in all its diversity. The organisation focuses its work on worldwide issues such as global warming, deforestation, overfishing, commercial whaling and anti-nuclear issues.
The actions and security unit is responsible for the management of our action warehouse, equipment, vehicles, training and coordination of our direct action activists and the day-to-day management of security issues within Greenpeace Africa, with a particular focus on the organisation's operations in South Africa, the Democratic Republic Congo and Senegal but also any other country on the continent Greenpeace may be operating. The unit is also responsible for developing and improving the capacity for rapid response operations on the continent.
Greenpeace Africa seeks to appoint an Action and Security Manager, based in its office in Johannesburg.
- Proven team leadership and management abilities;
- Minimum of five years experience in coordinating and/or team leading in events and/or direct actions;
- Minimum of three years qualification in logistics will serve as added advantage;
- Minimum of three years qualification in security management will serve as added advantage;
- Experience and in Security Management;
- Excellent organising and planning skills;
- Experience in managing volunteers;
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment;
- Ability to be self directed and to work well under pressure;
- Strong commitment to the ideals of Greenpeace including a global perspective;
- Understanding of health and safety issues relating to direct actions;
- Knowledge of and commitment occupational health and safety (OHS);
- Computer literacy in word processing and e-mail;
- Ability to travel and spend time away from home;
- Budget management experience;
- Understanding of environmental and peace issues;
- Experience working successfully in a cross cultural international environment;
- Experience of working in Africa.
Desirable qualities and kills
- Experience as a trainer (Greenpeace or otherwise) in one or more of; boat driving, climbing, NVDA and HAZMAT;
- Experience working with Greenpeace ships or marine based knowledge an advantage;
- Experience and/or training in security assessments and management;
- Greenpeace Africa offers competitive remuneration package.
For more information on this position, and details on how to apply, click here.
For more about Greenpeace Africa, refer to www.greenpeace.org/africa/en.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow and support the 2012 SANGONeT "No Pain No Gain" fundraising and awareness-raising campaign. Refer to www.ngopulse.org/npng for more information.