Grassroot Soccer (GRS) South Africa
Grassroot Soccer (GRS) is a South African nonprofit organisation that uses the power of soccer to prevent HIV/AIDS. GRS trains local community-based youth role models as skills coaches to deliver comprehensive HIV prevention and life skills education through rigorously designed and evidence based curricula.
The GOAL Trial is a three year cluster-randomized controlled trial (RCT), which began in February 2012 and is being carried out in 46 high schools in Cape Town and Port Elizabeth. The trial aims to assess the behavioural effectivness of a sports-based HIV prevention intervention, “Generation Skillz". As part of the ongoing trial, a mixed-methods process evaluation and qualitative outcomes assessment will be conducted alongside the delivery of the intervention this year.
GRC seeks to appoint a Qualitative Research Assistant, based in Port Elizabeth.
This is a three month full time contract with a possibility of an extension by a further two months.
- Assist, when necessary, with literature reviewing, and designing research instruments;
- Translate from English to isiXhosa consent and assent forms, and research instruments;
- Liaise and schedule with principals, school administrators and teachers to ensure effective coordination of scheduling data collection;
- Recruit and gather informed assent from study participants / coaches and consent from parents;
- Conduct in school observations of the curriculum being delivered;
- Conduct focus group discussions and semi-structured interviews with learners and coaches;
- Translate and transcribe focus group discussions and semi-structured interview tapes and hand-written notes (learn and use technology to do these tasks more effectively);
- Liaise with other members of the GOAL Trial study team and Grassroot Soccer;
- Assist with data entry (using appropriate methods and packages);
- Maintain accurate data collection records;
- Undertake administrative tasks as requested;
- Contribute, where appropriate, to the preparation of research outputs (conference contributions, journal publications, grant submissions, reports and presentations;
- Carry out other tasks which may be necessary from time to time appropriate to the post, as etermine by the line manager.
- Postgraduate or four year university degree is required (with research methodology as a subject or area of study);
- Verbal and written isiXhosa and English fluency (non-negotiable);
- Familiar with and knowledgeable of the local communities participating in the GOAL Trial;
- Previous research experience;
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint and general Internet and Email;
- Experience in qualitative interviewing; leading focus group discussions and conducting in-depth interviews;
- Experience with research participant recruitment;
- Experience in the use of qualitative research techniques and methods, and relevant software packages;
- Experience interacting comfortably with youth;
- Experience discussing topics related to sexuality;
- Experience with quantitative data analysis using statistical software is considered an asset;
- High personal motivation and self-management;
- Enthusiasm and willingness to learn and accept feedback;
- Confident, communicator who can work comfortably with diverse groups of people;
- Time management skills;
- Ability to prioritise work and manage deadlines, and make progress without direct supervision;
- Reliable, diligent, detail-oriented worker who can see tasks through to completion;
- Accurate, honest, dependable and flexible;
- Problem solving skills;
- Organisational and record-keeping skills;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle and protect sensitive data with integrity;
- Capacity and flexibility to learn new research methods and work routines;
- Ability to work with limited supervision and on own initiative;
- Ability to establish rapport with a variety of colleagues and to work flexibly with the line manager.
To apply, submit a CV highlighting required experience and motivation letter to email@example.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about GRS South Africa, refer to www.grassrootsoccer.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Facebook at http://mzan.si/AAzs.