Global Campaign for Education
Period: July-September 2014 (3 months, maternity cover)
The Global Campaign for Education (GCE), founded in 1999, is a global civil society movement working to end the education crisis through advocacy and public campaigns directed towards governments. GCE is a network of member organisations, networks and coalitions, present in more than 100 countries. Our members bring together civil society organisations, NGOs, teacher unions, child rights activists, parents’ associations, young people and community organisations. GCE promotes education as a basic human right, and mobilises the public to put pressure on governments and the international community to fulfil their promises to provide free, compulsory, high quality public education for all.
GCE is driven by the conviction that quality education for all is achievable, and that citizen action to put pressure on governments and hold them to account is critical to creating and maintaining the necessary political will.
GCE seeks to appoint a temporary Travel and Administration Assistant to support our busy team in Johannesburg. This is a fixed-term three month post to provide maternity cover.
Job Purpose: to support the GCE team in day-to-day administrative tasks, including by taking responsibility for travel arrangements for GCE staff and members and for the upcoming GCE World Assembly.
Location: GCE Global Headquarters, Rosebank, Johannesburg
Terms: R16 000 per month, full-time
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Arrange flights, hotels and other travel requirements for GCE staff and members as required, ensuring that we achieve value for money;
- Support the logistical arrangements for the upcoming GCE 2015 World Assembly, including sending out invitation letters, maintaining a database of attendees, and beginning to make travel arrangements;
- Track and order office supplies, as required;
- Provide reception duties, including answering telephones, taking messages, and responding to general email enquiries;
- Sort and distribute all incoming mail;
- Schedule and set up conference calls and meetings;
- Keep records of staff leave and travel;
- Work with others in the finance and administration team to ensure accurate filing of documents;
- Provide other administrative support as required.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Proven experience of providing excellent administrative support (at least two years);
- Experience of organising international travel, and dealing with travel agents;
- Excellent computer skills, including experience of using Microsoft Word, Excel, web browsers and mail merge programmes;
- Strong organisational skills, with meticulous attention to detail, and a focus on results;
- Excellent communication skills, including spoken and written English;
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work well as part of a team;
- Ability to follow instructions and procedures, with an understanding of when to seek further guidance;
- Commitment to GCE’s core values and to equal opportunities.
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Competence in one of GCE’s other official languages (Arabic, French, Portuguese, Spanish);
- Experience of working in an international organisation.
Closing Date: 14 June 2014
In order to apply, please send a short CV (1-3 pages) and a covering letter to email@example.com. In order to be considered, your e-mail must be titled with your name and the role you are applying for (e.g. Obama Temporary Travel & Administration Assistant). Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, by the end of June. Please do not send anything by post, and do not contact us by telephone, only e-mail applications will be accepted.
For more about the Global Campaign for Education, refer to www.campaignforeducation.org.