Programme for Technological Careers (PROTEC)
Programme for Technological Careers (PROTEC) is a national independent nonprofit educational service provider in South Africa that specialises in science, mathematics and technology education. Its main clients are provincial education departments, schools, educators and learners.
PROTEC seeks to appoint a General Manager: Operations, Marketing and R&D.
Purpose of the job
This position exists to align organisational performance with the strategy in order to ensure cost-effective and efficient implementation of PROTEC strategic objectives.
Reporting relations and contacts
The position is based in Braamfontein, and reports to the Chief Executive Officer. The position provides operational management of internal employees, which includes planning, directing, and coordinating the operations of the organisation.
Main contacts with this position include Clients and Suppliers of PROTEC, the PROTEC Board, Chief Executive Officer, Project Managers, and Administrative personnel.
Duties and responsibilities
The incumbent will be responsible for the management of the programme: Operations, Marketing and Materials Development. He/she will manage all operational staff.
- Align PROTEC’s performance with its strategy;
- Formulate and ensure implementation of PROTEC policies;
- Facilitate the development of ICT platform for service delivery;
- Provide management reports to the Board and CEO;
- Ensure that the projects remain viable business propositions;
- Sign-off key project deliverables, initiation and closure;
- Resolve project issues that are beyond project managers;
- Assist in signing agreements and contracts;
- Manage the compilation of PROTEC budget;
- Control the budget;
- Determine resources for successful performance;
- Assign tasks to project managers;
- Assess performance of projects;
- Manage deviations from and compliance with PROTEC policies;
- Manage the development of PROTEC products and the marketing thereof;
- Coordinate legal services for PROTEC;
- Represent PROTEC in key decisions pertaining to clients.
In addition to the above indicated competencies, the minimum requirements for this position are as follows:
- Relevant honours degree or MBA in project management, MSc will serve as added advantage;
- Computer literacy;
- Knowledge and understanding of clients and sponsors, as well as their needs;
- Excellent report writing and liaison / networking skills and abilities;
- At least five years’ experience in middle or senior management positions, preferably within the NGO or government sector;
- Excellent communications skills in English, both written and verbal;
- Strategic management and appreciation for urgency;
- Willingness to travel and work extended hours, in accordance with the operational requirements.
A letter of motivation together with comprehensive curriculum vitae and recently certified copies of qualifications must be forwarded to:
PO BOX 32767, Braamfontein, 2017
Closing date: 12 September 2013
Late applications will not be considered
Enquiries: Mr Balan Moodley – GM Finance, HR and Branch Relations, Tel: 011 339 1451
For more about Programme for Technological Careers, refer to www.protec.org.za