Futures Group - Sexual HIV Prevention Programme (SHIPP)
Title: Technical Officer: Data Use and Dissemination
Location: SHIPP Offices, Pretoria, South Africa
Project: Sexual HIV Prevention Programme (SHIPP)
The Sexual HIV Prevention Programme (SHIPP) of South Africa is a USAID-funded flagship PEPFAR initiative to galvanize and support impactful combination sexual prevention activities in South Africa. This initiative takes a multi-sectoral approach that links the health, education and social development sectors targeting in- and out-of-school-youth and sexually-active adults in order to help achieve the national target of a 50% reduction in the HIV incidence rate, which is in line with the National Strategic Plan (NSP) on HIV, STIs and TB 2012-2016.
SHIPP aims to promote an enabling environment for evidence-based policy and strategy at the national and provincial levels, supporting a mix of targeted HIV prevention interventions at the locality level (district, sub-district or local municipality). The SHIPP team provides short, medium, and long-term technical assistance and capacitation at national, provincial, and local levels. SHIPP provides assistance to the South Africa Government (SAG) to implement combination prevention activities to strengthen the national HIV&AIDS response.
SHIPP is seeking a Technical Officer: Data Use and Dissemination
The Data Use and Dissemination Technical Officer will provide technical assistance, training and coaching and support to local level decision-makers and implementers that include districts and sub-districts of South Africa where SHIPP is operating. This position is based in the Pretoria office.
- Strengthen the capacity of stakeholders and SHIPP staff to support development of evaluation frameworks and data collection tools and to conduct mid-term evaluations of district-level prevention plans through training and technical assistance;
- Build capacity of SHIPP staff and stakeholders in planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluation of HIV programme activities, determining their effectiveness, making mid-course corrections, and especially in documenting results;
- Conduct literature reviews, compile and analyse quantitative and qualitative data, and synthesise different information sources into clear messages and recommendations;
- Support the development of an End-of-Project communications and dissemination plan, including identifying key messages and lessons learnt; design and development of conference communications (abstracts, posters and oral presentations);
- Develop communication materials and disseminate information effectively to a variety of stakeholders in different formats, including case studies, policy/advocacy briefs, success stories, blogs and journal articles;
- Present assessment and mapping findings to government and implementing partners, agencies and stakeholders, sharing information and updates.
- Master’s degree or above in public health, epidemiology, health economics or a related field;
- 5+ years’ experience in capacity development, and using data to inform decision making;
- Demonstrated skills in scientific, technical and popular media communication and writing;
- Demonstrated skills in training and capacity development through technical assistance and coaching/mentoring. This includes strong skills and experience in public speaking, curriculum development, and delivering trainings and workshops;
- Demonstrated experience in HIV monitoring and evaluation in South Africa;
- Experience in reporting to international donors, including the United States Government;
- Strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships across teams and organisations;
- Ability to communicate technical data to non-technical audiences;
- Attention to detail and ability to effectively and efficiently perform multiple tasks and balance competing priorities;
- Willingness and ability to travel within South Africa, up to 40%;
- Fluency in English is required. Fluency in key South African languages is a plus.
- Regularly required to stand or sit, and move about the facility.
- Usual office working conditions free of disagreeable elements.
To express interest, send you CV and motivation letter to: SHIPPHR@futuresgroup.com with subject title Data Use Officer. The closing date will be 21 November 2014. Futures Group provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
This is a fixed term contract position which will be until 19 September 2015.