Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programmes that support frontline activists. Freedom House is a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, the organisation supports the right of every individual to be free.
Freedom House seeks to appoint a Programme Officer, based in Johannesburg.
The Programme Officer will assist in managing all programmatic aspects for two programs in the Southern Africa region that aim to support the development of a rule of just law and increased civic awareness of human rights and fundamental freedoms. This is a temporary position based in Johannesburg, South Africa and reports to the Project Director.
- Oversee day-to-day management of project activities and small grants facilities for both projects;
- Manage, track and report on all projects and small grant expenses;
- Assist with drafting detailed reports on programme activities for the EU and USAID;
- Manage extensive correspondence with potential and actual program participants including civil society organisations, service providers, FH headquarters, USAID, and other project contacts;
- Plan and organise logistics for all training interventions;
- Maintain a constantly updated tracking sheet of proposals received, contacts, budgets, payment schedules and reporting;
- Generate favorable publicity project activities in Southern Africa media;
- Research and develop materials for awareness raising and dissemination to the media and civil society publications;
- Travel to project countries for the purposes of monitoring project activities and investigating viability of potential project partners and proposals;
- Establish and continuously update a database of contacts in target countries for both projects;
- Develop and maintain up-to-date files of program information and materials including but not limited to: information sheet handouts, brochures, communication templates, evaluation sheets, course plans etc.
- Provide project content updates for FH website;
- Provide weekly updates on project activities to team members, and bi-weekly updates to FH headquarters staff;
- Ensure that all financial reports and expenditure sheets are completed, verified, and promptly forwarded to the finance department;
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, international relations, law, development, or related field;
- Minimum of four to six years of experience conducting democracy, human rights programmes, and legal reform;
- Minimum of three years of experience in financial and administrative management;
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing;
- Strong knowledge of human rights principles and mechanisms, and understanding of democracy promotion, with proven expertise in one or more of the following areas: NGO project management, international human rights, and legal reform;
- Mastery of MS Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience in leadership training programmes;
- Knowledge of US government, EU, UN and other international organisations’ rules and procedures concerning funds and programme management;
- Experience in research and writing on human rights and/or democracy issues;
- Ability to coordinate group activities and to interact successfully with and motivate a diverse group of individuals;
- Ability to consistently apply good judgment in problem solving and decision making;
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times;
- Experience living and/or working in Southern Africa or extensive travel to the region preferred;
- Work Environment and Physical Demands: Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To apply, complete an online application and submit a resume, and cover letter with salary history and desired salary (only candidates who send salary requirements will be considered for the position at: http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH10/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Qualified and Interested applicants, only applicants eligible to work in South Africa need apply.
There will be no relocation allowance with this position.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more about Freedom House, refer to www.freedomhouse.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Twitter at http://twitter.com/SANGONeT