Freedom House Southern Africa
Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, effective advocacy, and programmes that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, Nations in Transit, and Countries at the Crossroads. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
Freedom House Southern Africa seeks to appoint a Grants and Finance Officer.
This position is based in Johannesburg, South Africa and reports to the Senior Finance Officer.
The candidate will maintain financial and accounting services and provide technical support to sub-grantees in order to fulfill legal, financial and administrative requirements of Donors, the host government and Freedom House and support programme activities aimed at strengthening and encouraging civil society organisations to work effectively in promoting democratic governance, rule of law and respect for Human Rights in Southern Africa Region.
Prepare, review and record transactions in the financial system in order to ensure that FHSA financial records are always maintained in an accurately and up-to-date manner. Assist in maintaining accounts payable and accounts receivable record keeping in order ensuring complete and accurate accounting for funds received, obligated and expensed. Perform any other accounting and grants related duties as required for efficient operation of Freedom House projects.
- Assist in overseeing grant compliance component of sub-grantees including assessment of sub grant applications, creation of sub-grant documentation and monitoring of sub grant financial reports;
- Assist in review the financial reports provided by sub-grantees, report the results promptly to SFO for quick remedial to provide technical assistance as required to build financial management capacity of local partners and grantees;
- Assist in the development of templates and administration of grants in compliance with USAID regulations and FH policies and procedures;
- Assist in conducting sub-grant management training workshops for potential and current sub-grantees in a close collaboration with FHSA Senior Finance Officer;
- Maintain grant notebooks and file grant correspondence;
- Assist in preparation of external audit;
- Daily posting of financial transactions to Pastel ensuring that all financial data and transactions are properly recorded and accurately entered into the accounting system;
- Reviewing of all prepared vouchers according to the donor and FH systems and controls;
- Liaise with Programme staff to ensure prompt payment, submission of accurate financial information, timely follow-up and error free posting and record keeping;
- Prepare monthly cash requirements:
- Prepare bank reconciliations for all FHSA accounts;
- Reconcile staff Advance Ledger Account;
- Assist in preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual expenditures Reports;
- Perform any other duties as and when required.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting; Business Studies; Management or equivalent;
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance or equivalent is an added advantage;
- At least 5 years of experience managing and administering U.S. Federal grants and/o contracts;
- Experience working with USG supported projects and knowledge of financial rules and regulations, including fiscal controls and fund accounting.
Qualified candidates should send their resume to hr@FreedomHouse.org.
Closing Date: 4 April 2014