Centre for Education Policy Development
The Centre for Education Policy Development (CEPD), on behalf of the Human Resources Council of South Africa (HRDCSA) secretariat, invites suitable service providers to undertake a study on professionalizing the South African School civil service for Foundational Learning field. Two main leverage points have been identified for which research is required.
The first is consideration of the questions of subject expertise required for entry into the teaching profession. The research shall focus on the following
- The standards concerning subject expertise and pedagogical knowledge of beginning teachers applied in the school systems of other countries.
- Ways of assessing the extent to which newly qualified teachers possess this subject and pedagogical knowledge.
- The options regarding implementation of such a certifying system.
The second consideration relates to building a professional civil service through promotion posts in the schooling system so that progression can be based on more objective criteria reflecting knowledge and expertise. In this regard, the research should:
- Examine Collective Agreement No. 1 and systems used in other countries to propose both career path progressions within the school system, and the criteria for advancement along these paths.
- Examine Ways of incentivizing self motivated individuals to access training in order to acquire the benchmark skills which will make them eligible for promotion.
- Setting benchmark knowledge requirements for eligibility for promotion positions, allowing free rein to motivated individuals to develop their own expertise in these areas, and restructuring salary scales to attract talented teachers into positions of leadership will create a coalition of the willing and the expert, elements which are essential to turning the school system around from one held back by passivity and inertia to one driven by the expertise and intrinsic motivation.
For further information on the terms of reference and scope of work, please click here.
The completion dates for the above task will be negotiated with the successful service provider
Enquiries: Madumetja P Kgobe 011 482 3060 or Paul@cepd.org.za