Office for Southern Africa (Johannesburg)
The Accountant is an integral member of the team that ensures the office maintains a strong internal control. The position requires significant liaison with several units in Head Office in New York.
- Academic degree in Accounting;
- 3 to 5 years’ experience as an accountant;
- Fluent in English and a local language (written and spoken);
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Solid computer literacy - preferably Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, Access, Accounting systems preferably Microsoft Great Plains Dynamics (GP).
- Problem solving, trouble shooting, organisational, analytical and planning skills;
- Ability to multi-task, pay attention to details, and prioritise to meet deadlines;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Ability to work under stress;
- Demonstrate sensitivity, respect, honesty and fairness in interactions.
Accounting as per Ford Foundation - New York internal procedures and local South African legal and fiscal regulations
Use WorkPlace to initiate approval for disbursements - check requests and or invoices - with proper and complete documentation attached;
- Record receipt of goods and services acquired by the Foundation;
- Enter accounting transactions with adequate supporting documentation for cash disbursements and cash receipts using appropriate GP module;
- Review CONCUR expense reports before they are approved and sent to Head Office in New York for processing;
Generate various reports in GP to assist with reconciliations, expense analysis and budget monitoring and preparation as well as the monitoring of receivables, prepaid and payable accounts;
- Prepare adjusting entries with appropriate supporting documentation, as necessary;
- Execute monthly and fiscal year-end closing including revaluations, accruals and adjustments for exchange differences as necessary.
Monitor and control of banking activities;
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations;
- Record bank transfers received from Head Office in New York and exchange rates used for recording transactions;
- Maintain relations with the South African bank and New York’s Office of Banking.
Payroll and Taxes
- Prepare local staff payroll, including tax withholding, and payment of net salaries through wire transfers done by the bank to employees’ individual accounts;
- Monitor tax liabilities, maintain accurate records and remit payments promptly;
- Ensure the Foundation is in compliance with all tax regulations;
- Keep abreast of changes in the tax laws;
- Prepare responses, in consultation with the Representative, to any request from tax authorities.
Create management budget and related schedules/reports in Forecaster;
- Prepare the transmittal memo with explanation of significant variances;
- Prepare the preliminary 6-month revision of budget vs. actual expenses;
- Respond to New York’s requests for explanations about variances between actual expenses versus the budget;
- Monitor budget by category or line item and generate reports as needed.
- Review and analyse budget classification of receiving batch in GP before approving;
- Prepare and update the local procedures accounting manual;
- Contribute to the revision of the Personnel Manual in relation to laws governing employees’ taxes and benefits, social security, and accounting procedures;
- Update the Administrative Manual for changes in processes relating to the areas of Cash disbursements and receipts, banking, petty cash funds, consultants, fixed assets, inventories, purchases, expense reports and separation process;
- Assist with Fixed Assets/Inventory reconciliations, if needed, after completion of annual physical inventory;
- Provide orientation on procedures to staff when required;
- Knowledge and skills relating to information technology would be desirable.
If you are interested in this challenging position, please see the full job description posted on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za.
If you wish to apply please send an updated CV and a motivation letter clearly stating why you believe that your skills and experience make you a suitable candidate for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than Wednesday 20 March 2013.
Please also download and complete the Action Appointments biosummary form which can be found at the top of the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za