FHI 360 South Africa
FHI 360 is a global development organisation with a rigorous, evidence-based approach. Our professional staff includes experts in health, nutrition, education, economic development, civil society, environment and research. FHI 360 operates from 60 offices with 4400 staff in the U.S and around the world. Our commitment to partnerships at every level and our multidisciplinary approach enables us to have a lasting impact on the individuals, communities and countries we serve, improving lives for millions.
FHI 360 seeks to appoint a qualified candidate for the position of Gender Specialist.
The Gender Specialist is responsible for providing technical assistance and guidance to NGOs and South African Government on gender mainstreaming and equity.
The incumbent will ensure full integration of gender into all aspects of the project.
Key responsibilities are:
- Provide technical support to selected NGOs in identifying needs and priorities for the enhancement of gender mainstreaming and integration in policies and programmes;
- Facilitate the development and implementation of Gender Integration Frameworks for partner NGOs, helping them to ensure gender integration into every aspect of their work;
- Using the Gender Integration Frameworks, assist NGOs to develop gender mainstreaming strategies;
- Work closely with the Capacity Development team in developing technical capacity plans that are informed by specific NGO needs identified during assessments;
- Facilitate the coordination of gender mainstreaming activities and interventions for NGOs and assist in the promotion of inter-sectorial approaches that ensure progress towards meeting project goals;
- Coordinate knowledge sharing in gender among NGOs and other stakeholders, through participating in knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Provide technical support to NGOs in the development of gender responsive tool kits and check lists for monitoring and evaluating their programmes;
- Assist in the promotion, awareness and dissemination of relevant resource materials on gender mainstreaming to NGOs;
- Facilitate national and provincial level engagement with policy makers on gender mainstreaming and equity issues.
- Post-graduate academic degree (PhD or Masters) in a relevant field (e.g. sociology, anthropology, international development studies, gender and women’s studies.);
- Minimum of 8 to 10 years’ experience (including field experience) in the area of gender;
- Experience with the development and implementation of gender analysis and conceptual frameworks;
- Experience in integrating gender issues in policy and programming at national and provincial levels;
- Ability to work effectively across teams with inter-cultural and inter-disciplinary sensitivity;
- Ability to identify gender partners and strengthen relationships, build new linkages, facilitate stakeholder processes, build the capacity of NGOs and solve project issues;
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
Interested candidates may submit their resume together with a motivational cover letter indicating the position for which you are applying for to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 24 September 2014
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.