Fair Trade in Tourism South Africa
Fair Trade in Tourism South Africa (FTTSA) is a non-profit organisation that promotes sustainable tourism development. The organisation do this through awareness raising, research and advocacy, capacity building and by facilitating the world’s first tourism Fair Trade certification programme.
FTTSA awards the use of special label to qualifying businesses as a way of signifying their commitment to Fair Trade criteria including fair wages and working conditions, fair purchasing, fair operations, equitable distribution of benefits and respect for human rights, culture and environment.
FTTSA seeks to appoint a Bookkeeper, based in Pretoria, South Africa. Jod grade: C1
The person will report to the General Manager and assists with financial management of the organisation.
This is a full-time position.
- Monitor bank balances daily and maintain petty cash; check all purchase orders and staff claims ensuring compliance with FTTSA policies and procedures; check all debtor and creditor invoices;
- Pay creditor invoices and approved staff claims; ensure accurate filing of same;
- Prepare and process payroll for signature; prepare and submit EMP201;
- Bring books to trial balance monthly;
- Reconcile financial position monthly, including preparation of cash flow analysis, management accounts, debtor statements and cost code;
- Check cost code with account managers and resolve all anomalies. Ensure cost code signed off and filed monthly;
- Manage debtors, sending out statements and following up with all stale debts on a monthly basis;
- Manage the Fixed Asset Register; update insurance as required;
- Submit VAT returns bi-monthly;
- Submit Workmen’s Compensation payment annually;
- Prepare for and participate in annual regulatory audit;
- Participate in all FTTSA staff meetings;
- Assist in mentorship of Office Administrator; and
- Complete all personal admin in line with FTTSA policies and procedures.
FTTSA’s staff complement is small and, as such, the Bookkeeper may, from time to time, be required to assist with other projects and/or office management duties. Where such requests are within the ability of the Bookkeeper to perform, they may not unreasonably be refused.
- Grade 12 education;
- Two/three year diploma from a technikon/college in accounting; and
- Minimum two years work experience with three traceable references.
- Firm understanding of generally accepted accounting principles;
- Good computational skills; high degree of accuracy;
- Fluent in English (good written and verbal communications skills);
- Ability to plan and undertake administrative work with high level of autonomy;
- Ability to gather and manage data;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Flexible and able to adapt to a changing environment; and
- Highly proficient in Microsoft software applications and Pastel.
Successful candidate will be:
- Self-motivated and able to work under pressure whether independently or as part of a team;
- Able to manage many tasks simultaneously.
Starting date: September 2012.
Remuneration: R182 761 – R247 266 per annum. Other benefits are as per FTTSA’s policies and procedures.
To apply, submit a CV and three traceable referees to email@example.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Should you not hear from FTTSA within 30 days of the closing date, consider your application unsuccessful.
FTTSA reserves the right not to fill this position.
For more about Fair Trade in Tourism South Africa, refer to www.fairtourismsa.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.