Ecumenical Service for Socio-Economic Transformation (ESSET)
Ecumenical Service for Socio-Economic Transformation (ESSET) is a Section 21 not-for-profit organization. ESSET provides solidarity, capacity-building, research and advocacy support to informal traders, women and youth in poor communities, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Intersex and Transgender groups, and church leaders and ecumenical activists.
ESSET seeks to appoint a Programme Officer - Theology and Social Justice, based in Johannesburg.
ESSET wishes to appoint a full-time Programme Officer for its Theology and Social Justice programme. The Theology and Social Justice programme officer will report to the organization’s programme manager.
- Plan and coordinate ESSET’s activities and events that are aimed at promoting social justice activism among church leaders and members;
- Produce written theological reflections on issues of social justice;
- Build and maintain relations with progressive church leaders and ecumenical activists;
- Build solidarity relationships between the target audiences of ESSET’s Informal Trade and Community-driven Development programmes and different churches or church organizations;
- Liaise with national and regional ecumenical networks;
- Work closely with the other programme officers;
- Produce activity reports;
- Submit monthly reports to the programme manager;
- Represent ESSET in relevant civil society forums.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Theology with majors in Development Studies, Social Sciences, and/or Sociology;
- Demonstrable knowledge of progressive theological discourses;
- Demonstrable progressive understanding of issues of gender and sexuality;
- Demonstrable experience of social justice activism, networking and lobbying;
- Excellent English writing and speaking skills;
- Fluency in at least two African languages;
- Self-motivated, good interpersonal skill, and demonstrable experience of working within a team.
The salary will be based on relevant competencies, knowledge and abilities.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview.
For more about the Ecumenical Service for Socio-Economic Transformation, refer to www.esset.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.