Environmental Monitoring Group (EMG)
The Environmental Monitoring Group (EMG) is a nonprofit environmental organisation based in Observatory, Cape Town; with a staff of 12 people.
The Environmental Monitoring Group seeks to appoint a Receptionist / Administrator, based in Cape Town.
Starting date: as soon as possible.
The successful candidate will provide reception and office management services, administration and logistic support, and basic financial data capturing.
Standard working hours will be Monday to Friday 9h00am to 17h00pm with some flexibility. However, well qualified and experienced candidates specifically looking for a ½ day post will also be considered.
- Receive and screen visitors, answer phone, redirect calls, send faxes, etc.;
- Collect post, bank documents, office supplies, etc.;
- Manage supplies of office equipment, stationery, etc.;
- Manage and reconcile petty cash;
- Assist in planning logistics of workshops and other events;
- Assist in running events (incl travel and accommodation bookings, processing claims, co-ordinating logistics, reconciling expenses, etc.);
- Prepare refreshments for visitors, meeting, etc.;
- Liaise with service providers with respect to deliveries, payments, problems, etc.;
- Ensure the premises are clean, and well maintained;
- Manage record, files, documents and resource library;
- Manage data-base of contacts, service providers, etc.;
- Manage the acquisition, insurance and maintenance of office equipment, and control the use of the organisation’s assets;
- Collect claims, invoices, vouchers, etc. and initiate the payment process;
- Capture basic financial data (under supervision);
- Contribute in all ways, to a clean, friendly and productive organisation.
- Ability to drive (with valid licence);
- Ability to communicate (speak and write) clearly in English (with Afrikaans and/or isiXhosa an advantage);
- Working knowledge of word-processing (MSWord), spreadsheets (Excel), emails, internet, etc.;
- Ability to work without direct supervision, to take initiative and to balance competing demands;
- Basic secretarial and reception skills;
- Minimum of a good matric, and preferably a post-matric secretarial / bookkeeping diploma;
- Some prior experience in a similar position;
- Some prior bookkeeping or data-capturing experience;
- Knowledge of bookkeeping basics is an added advantage;
- Good written communication skills in English (drafting documents, editing, proof-reading, etc.) is an added advantage;
- Website maintenance skills is an added advantage;
- Advanced computer literacy (esp spreadsheets, database, etc.) is an added advantage;
- Basic technical understanding of computer networks and maintenance is an added advantage;
- An appreciation for environmental and development issues is an added advantage;
- Substantial experience in the NGO sector is an added advantage;
- Some special, unique and interesting skill is an added advantage;
- Have an energetic, friendly and outgoing personality and be confident in dealing with people;
- Initiative-taker and a quick learner with a can-do attitude towards solving problems;
- Ability to multi-task, take instructions from more than one manager, and to work under pressure;
- Be organised with a logical and structured approach to your work;
- Ability to work after hours, on weekends and travel away from home from time-to-time.
Salary offered will be market-related, but dependent on your skills, experience and qualifications.
To apply submit a brief CV (not more than four pages) and a motivational letter to Brigitte@emg.org.za, fax to 021 448 2922 or post to: EMG, PO Box 13378, Mowbray, 7705.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
EMG is committed to building a staff profile that is as diverse as our country’s population.
For more about Environmental Monitoring Group, refer to www.emg.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/ngopulse