enke: Make Your Mark
enke: Make Your Mark is a youth leadership and entrepreneurship organisation. Founded in 2009, enke has been growing steadily over the past four years and is now seeking to dramatically accelerate growth. enke has worked with over 600 young people from across South Africa in this period.
enke seeks to appoint a Research and Development Manager, based in Braamfontein, Johannesburg, with travel as required overtime/weekend work will be expected of the successful applicant.
The enke team is looking for a mission-focused, dynamic, strategic, and process-minded person with experience in research, developing a monitoring and evaluation system, advising on programme development and donor reporting. This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, well-respected organisation.
This is a one-year contract position renewable.
Reporting directly to the COO, but working closely with the CEO and Programmes Manager of enke: Make Your Mark, the Research and Development Manager will be responsible for helping us prove the enke model. Due to the organisation’s current stage in its development, we want to invest time in evaluating all operational as well as programme functions.
In addition we see an opportunity to position enke as a thought-leader in the field, requiring more focus on research.
The Research and Development Manager is responsible for ensuring that the organisation is having the intended impact, using the most efficient methods possible. The main responsibilities of this role can be separated into the following key areas:
A. Develop a holistic, research-based theory of change
- This will take the form of both a detailed prose version (with references and all supporting research) and a summary, diagram form for external audiences.
B. Design and run monitoring and evaluation system (based on existing system and research other, existing systems globally) to routinely and thoroughly monitor and report on all program activities.
- Create tools for data collection (surveys, questionnaires etc);
- Ensure necessary infrastructure for new data collection and analysis is established;
- Collect data to measure and report on key program activities and deliverables in line with internal requirements and donor reporting requirements where necessary;
- Data analysis;
- Assess need for and make recommendations for program improvement;
- Assess impact and outcomes of program activities;
- Create standard operating procedures such as data collection forms, procedures and timelines, use of a designed database, and reporting and dissemination processes for use by relevant stakeholders.
C. Design and run research projects and publish findings
- Identify opportunities for enke to conduct original research work to support our mission;
- Identify and work with collaborative partners to conduct or assist in this research (e.g. universities);
- Write and publish findings;
- Stakeholder engagement and research (including site visits of youth-led projects, donor reports);
- Provide routine summary reports to staff to support understanding of and commitment to the programme;
- Reports: With input and support from the Programme Department, assure thorough and complete completion and timely submission of all data and narrative reports to board, CEO, donors, partners;
- Represent enke to disseminate monitoring and evaluation findings or support the CEO to do so;
- Work with the COO and Programme Manager to create, test and evaluate replicable processes for scaling at all levels of the organisation.
The candidate should demonstrate a passion for developing cutting-edge research. Beyond that, we are seeking someone who has a demonstrated ability to conduct both qualitative and quantitative research. Additional requirements are:
- Minimum of three years professional experience including;
- Experience designing a monitoring and evaluation system research experience;
- Excellent written and verbal communication;
- Valid driver’s licence;
- Self-starter with a strategic mindset - a person who goes beyond just responding to program implementations, but should pre-empt some questions from the programmes department and stakeholders;
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree including some research component;
- Flexible and able to multi-task; can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions; demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems;
- Strong understanding of program design (preferably in youth development) - a person who is able to more than just give feedback, but understand how it can be used to increase impact;
- Strong future-orientation, and ability to support strategic decisions based on current information;
- Exceptional ability to take initiative and complete tasks on time;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with partners, staff, and colleagues with a high level of tact, diplomacy and confidentiality.
Starting date: Mid to late March 2013.
Starting salary: R14 000 per month.
To apply, submit a CV (one page maximum) and motivation letter addressing the experience requirements and why you would be the best person for the job, a piece of previous work (e.g. a research paper, a presentation of findings). Send all of your documents in PDF format. You should be sending a total of 3 documents, each in a separate file. Each file should be labelled with your name and the document title to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about enke: Make Your Mark, refer to www.enke.co.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.