Durban Children's Home
The Durban Children’s Home is a non-government organisation which was established in 1905 by a group of concerned men and women, who saw the need to provide substitute care to orphans, destitute children and children with parents who were unable to care for them. In the past, the organisation provided custodial care to these children. When this method of child care became outdated the organisation was challenged to adjust its programmes in order to meet the requirements of the transformation welfare policy in South Africa. This has ensured that the children, youth and their families referred to Durban Children’s Home programme to receive an effective, efficient and relevant service. The Durban Children’s Home recognises the importance of early intervention, preventative work with children, youth and families, as well as family reunification. Programmes with this focus ensure that families do not have to spend long periods in the welfare system, or in some cases do not have to enter the system at all. In order to meet this objective Durban Children’s Home has developed new, innovative programmes, which provide relevant services to the communities the organisation serves. The children who access Durban Children’s Home programmes come from all over KwaZulu-Natal. High levels of unemployment, poverty, crime, domestic violence, substance abuse, sexual abuse and HIV/AIDS are experienced in the province which results in many children seeking access to the empowering programmes the organisation offers.
Durban Children’s Home seeks to appoint a Resource Developer, based in Durban.
Starting date: Negotiable
The candidate should have a passion for the welfare sector. He/She must have a proven track record in fundraising and a strong understanding of the nonprofit sector.
This Resource Developer will work closely with the Director and the members of the board that hold the fundraising portfolio.
This is a one-year contract position.
- Drive the strategic fundraising plan and all associated activities;
- Be proactive in researching and identifying potential donors, both local and international;
- Develop and present funding proposals and reports;
- Drive all the marketing, public relations and communications initiatives;
- Screen and coordinate volunteers;
- Maintain the website;
- Manage the database;
- Attend events on behalf of Durban Children’s Home.
- Minimum of two years experience in successful fundraising;
- Ability to adhere to strict deadlines, be highly structured and organised;
- Writing ability and administration;
- Experience with social media;
- Friendly, patient and welcoming personality when dealing with the public;
- Ability to work independently;
- Professional, presentable and effective interpersonal skills;
- Qualification in Public Relations, Marketing or Social Sciences;
- Available some weekends and public holidays;
- Must have a heart and passion for children’s causes;
- Driver's licence and own vehicle essential.
Salary: Negotiable – depending on experience
To apply, submit a CV, motivational letter, copies of qualifications and contact detailsof three references to Mandy Goble at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For more information about Durban Children’s Home, refer to www.dch.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.