DITSELA is a joint project of the three largest Labour Federations in South Africa, COSATU, FEDUSA and NACTU and was created to help build the Labour Movement’s education and organisational capacity to respond to and actively engage with the new challenges that it faces.
DITSELA invites senior development managers with extensive trade union/labour experience and an adult education and policy background to apply for the role of
The purpose of the job is to provide overall leadership and strategic management of the entire organization, in pursuance of executing the policy and strategy mandate of the DITSELA Board.
The Director of DITSELA is concerned with (i) providing strategic leadership within the worker education sector and the workers movement in general; (ii) providing strategic leadership to all staff, particularly line managers; (iii) ensuring that the organization is managed effectively overall, and that operational delivery enables the overall strategy mandate to be achieved; (iv) raises funds in pursuance of institutional sustainability; and (v) undertakes high-level representation of DITSELA in arenas that further the policy advocacy agenda of the organization.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Matriculation Certificate or equivalent experience;
- Tertiary Education, preferably in Adult Education, Social Sciences or related certificate/diploma.
- Strategic and Project Management and Administration Skills;
- Adult Education and Trade Union, and Facilitation Skills;
- Writing Skills;
- Computer Literate - word processing, spreadsheets, graphics, e-mail;
- Organisation Development Skills;
- Human Resources Management (consultative) Skills;
- Leadership Skills;
- Operational Financial Management Skills;
- Policy Advocacy Skills.
- Ability to organise work and people effectively;
- Ability to develop and maintain systems and procedures;
- Ability to respect and work well within a collective;
- Ability to be innovative and creative in education delivery;
- Ability to communicate ideas and instructions clearly;
- Ability to interact effectively and comfortably with senior and junior colleagues, trade unionists, course participants and service providers;
- Ability to work under and handle pressure;
- An understanding of and commitment to education within the trade union movement in South Africa and internationally.
- Solid previous experience at a senior management level as well as management experience within the trade union movement or within the broader labour service community is essential;
- Skills and experience as an adult educator, and policy advocate;
- A driving license and the ability to travel are prerequisites;
- Proven high-level successful fundraising experience.
Interested candidates should please submit a CV and comprehensive motivation letter stating why you believe you are a suitable candidate to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please also submit a completed biosummary form which you can download from the top of the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za.
Closing date for applications is Friday 10th August 2012, but candidates are encouraged to submit their applications as soon as possible.