The Desmond Tutu HIV Foundation (DTHF) is a registered nonprofit organisation focused on the pursuit of excellence in research, treatment, training and prevention of HIV and related infections in Southern Africa.
DTHF seeks to appoint an Adolescent/Research Nurse, based at its Youth Centre in Masiphumelele, Sunnydale, Cape Town.
Are you keen to make a difference in the lives of young South Africans? We are looking for an energetic clinical nurse practitioner with adolescent health experience or a keen desire to provide an adolescent health service including sexual and reproductive health in a youth centre in the South Peninsula. This wonderful opportunity for a broad minded, passionate nurse will also entail related research, education and counselling, working within a dynamic positive youth development team. If you think you have what it takes to shape and lead this service and want to make a difference in young lives then please apply today.
DTHF invite applications from candidates for this one year- contract position with a possibility of renewal.
The person will provide SRH clinical care and general health education for all Youth Centre clients and assist in the conduct of adolescent research.
- Providing a welcoming and supportive environment for all youth;
- Running an adolescent-friendly health service including Sexual & Reproductive Health;
- clinical care of all youth including study participants;
- Performing HIV rapid testing, counselling and referring to appropriate services;
- Issuing Family Planning and STI education
- Facilitate adolescent referrals to other services where necessary;
- Organisation and management of clinic including maintaining cold chain temperatures in phlebotomy and assisting in inventory, ordering and supply management;
- Contribute to creating an adolescent-friendly research and service facility.
- Obtain informed consent in keeping with GCP principles and assist with all study procedures under Study Coordinator’s supervision;
- Performs the screening, eligibility assessment and enrolment of study participants;
- Accurate and complete questionnaire and CRF administration;
- Follow-up clinical care of all study participants;
- Performing phlebotomy and ensuring rapid and efficient processing of samples to the designated laboratory;
- Assisting with education and training as required;
- Maintaining strict client confidentiality.
- Registration with the South African Nursing Council (SANC) as a Clinical Nurse Practitioner;
- Good clinical practice (GCP) training;
- Knowledge of HIV/AIDS and counselling;
- Experience in performing phlebotomy
- Previous clinical trial experience;
- Adolescent experience or a keen interest to work with adolescents and youth;
- Fluency in English and isiXhosa;
- Own transport is advantageous;
- Willingness to work irregular hours and some Saturdays;
- Must be detail orientated and have an interest in research;
- Ability to work well under pressure and to maintain effectiveness during changing conditions;
- Good verbal and interpersonal communication skills;
- Client Focus;
- Non-judgemental attitude;
- Planning and organising
- Ability to work as a member of a team
- Personal Effectiveness;
- Continuous learning.
This contract post is renewable subject to funding availability and acceptable work performance.
If you meet the criteria as set out above and are interested in the position please send a covering.
To apply, submit a CV, contact details of two and motivation letter quoting the name of the position you are applying for and detailing your suitability for the position, to email@example.com or fax to: 021 633 0182.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Enquiries: Thola Bennie, Tel: 021 785 5454
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We are committed to equity in our employment practices. It is our intention to appoint individuals with the aim of meeting our equity objectives. We reserve the right not to appoint if no suitable candidate is identified.
If you are a foreign national applying for this position please attach a copy of your work permit to your application.
If you have not heard from us within two weeks after the closing date please consider you application as unsuccessful.
Desmond Tutu HIV Foundation is a child friendly organisation committed to the protection of children.
For more about Desmond Tutu HIV Foundation, refer to www.desmondtutuhivfoundation.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.