The Desmond & Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation
The Desmond & Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation stands for justice, peace and community across the world touching people from all walks of life, being the embodiment of ‘ubuntu’- the belief that to thrive as a whole, we each need to care for one another.
The Desmond & Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation seeks to appoint a full-time Communications and Marketing Manager, based in Cape Town.
The overall responsibility is to develop and execute the Foundation's Communication internally and externally with particular emphasis on media, social media and marketing activities dedicated to growing the global brand.
The successful candidate will be responsible to and report to the Executive Director.
- Managing day-to-day external and internal communication activities to support the Foundation's overall objectives, policies and procedures;
- To manage crisis communications within the Foundation in liaison with the Executive Director and External Service Provider;
- Develop and implement communications plans to support major projects, campaigns and other initiatives;
- To maintain a database of all Media Houses, journalist, on-line journalist and radio stations with updated contacts whilst cultivating excellent professional working relationships with local media;
- Raise public awareness and positively influence public opinion around the Foundation's key issues;
- Brief journalists as required and draft reactive statements and letters to editors;
- Organise press conferences as required and produce media briefings for press conferences and events as required;
- Develop strategy for media relations, promotional planning, implementation and placement of news coverage objectives regionally and nationally;
- Writes content for website, newsletters, documents, brochures and other promotional materials, keeping content up-to-date and appropriate and making improvements to functionality, and providing guidance to external Service Provider where necessary;
- Posts articles, blogs, videos and other content, and oversee all website copy to ensure quality;
- Find, develop and manage media contacts / relationships in all the Social Networks (e.g. Facebook, Twitter);
- Develop new and creative communication streams, including podcasts and videos;
- Direct mail shots, SMS messages, e-mail messages, Newsletter (print and electronic);
- Smart phone apps (being developed).
- Bachelor's degree in communication, marketing, public relations or related;
- Minimum of three years experience in communication (preferably in the not-for-profit sector) or journalism;
- Exceptional writing skills, ability to adapt style to suit different communications media and audiences;
- Extensive successful writing and editing experience (externally focused) with a variety of print and online communications media;
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications, media relations and marketing program to advance an organisation's mission and goals;
- Creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be utilised;
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top tier reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team, and willingness to 'pitch in' as required in a small organisation;
- Valid driving licence and own car essential.
A market related salary dependent on experience and qualifications will be offered.
Starting date: Preferably 1 March 2014.
Only Experienced people with appropriate skills level should apply.
To apply, submit a CV, contact details of three referees and motivation letter to HR@tutu.org.za or post to the HR Consultant - Rita Isaacs, P.O. Box 50708, Waterfront, 8002 Cape Town.
Only successful candidates will be contacted.
For more about the Desmond & Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation, refer to www.tutu.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.